ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751778 Members
4538 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Win 2003 R2 Gray Screen Hang on HP DL380 G5 when restart after Nov/Dec 2011 Windows Update

tsangkc99
Occasional Visitor

Win 2003 R2 Gray Screen Hang on HP DL380 G5 when restart after Nov/Dec 2011 Windows Update

I’ve 4 identical HP DL 380 G5 Servers with Windows 2003 R2 Std.  The 4 machines have the same Windows driver version and motherboard BIOS version.  2 have no problem.  2 have problems after Nov/Dec 2011 Windows Update!

After running for a few days from power-up, the 2 problem servers will hang at gray screen during restart.  After clicking for restart,
- The Event Log service will stop normally so there is no more error log can be seen!
- The IP ping to the server can still work.  The mouse pointer in Windows can still be moved.
- The Windows shutdown gray screen can be shown.
- [Ctrl-Alt-Del] has stopped to function.

Then the system just freezes at that status.  I can only cold-boot the system!

After power-up again, I can do the Windows restart / shutdown normally!  But after a few day of server running, the above symptom repeats!  The symptom happened since I installed the Windows Update in Dec 2011.  It didn't happen before that!

Anyone can give a hint on how to diagnose it?

1 REPLY 1
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

Re: Win 2003 R2 Gray Screen Hang on HP DL380 G5 when restart after Nov/Dec 2011 Windows Update

hi,

Please update the servers with the latest firmware and support pack from HP. I know , that the other 2 servers are working fine, but they have most probably different hardware revisions. Please check for errors in the ilo 2 (IML) log.

What's the server configuration - any pci cards , external storage ?

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!