1752316 Members
5423 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Win Server 2003 Enterprise on CL380 Cluster

Charles Crawford
Occasional Contributor

Win Server 2003 Enterprise on CL380 Cluster

Cannot get the second node to join without corruption. Recd error in event log of device\scsi\sym_hi1. Any suggestions.

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

Re: Win Server 2003 Enterprise on CL380 Cluster

You might check some of these other message threads. have you also updated latest firmware on the HW? cna you be a little more descriptive about how far you get into the install and when exactly the error comes up?

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=568994

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=537969

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Charles,

You must make sure that one node has SCSI ID7 (Default) and the other has SCSI ID 6 when communicating with the shared storage.

This has to be changed using the SCU if you have performed a system erase and wiped the settings. Both will default to 7, so when you bring up the second node you will hit problems.

I have attached a note on this to my reply.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Charles Crawford
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for you help gents.

I install both nodes as I did with win2000. I change the SCSI id's (one node 6 and the other is 7)

I power on one server and config the shared array and then accomplish the cluster config. When I power on the second node, it freezes on the Windows (black) screen. Disabling its access to the shared drive allows it to boot. I add the second node, then all hades breaks loose. Can't fail or move resources, the servers lock up, the cluster fails, cluster services stop on their own, etc. The common thread seems to be the sym_hi.sys file or driver.

Thanks
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Charles,

Sym_hi.sys is a Symbios Logic SCSI miniport driver however you should not be using any Sybios Logic drivers. This suggests that you may not have applied the Windows 2003 Product Support Pack to use only HP drivers for everything.

Try applying the PSP and see if the problem goes away. Also upgrade the system BIOS on each DL380 node if not already done.

The complete CL380 G1 kits can be found here.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/69_1125.html

I hope this helps.

Brian

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Charles,

Can you also please have a look at the attached "Implementing Microsoft Windows Server 2003 on Proliant Servers" just in case any pre-requisites are not met.

The CL380 is covered.

Its a 280K PDF file.

Regards,

Brian
Ron Caguin

I'm having the same problem, but everything is up to date (bios, drivers, controller). I configured both nodes with the system configuration utility exactly the same. When node 1 is up and running, I try to power up node 2 and it hangs on the Windows 2003 splash screen.Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Ron
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Which OS is selected in the system configuration?
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Ron Caguin

I have Windows NT > Windows 2000, selected. If I choose other, either nodes will not boot up to OS. The only way I can get node 2 up when node 1 is operational is by isolating node 2 using the node service button in the back. Node 1 is set to SCSCI ID 7 and Node 2 is set to 6. I did try flipping the two ID's around (digging for answers) and it didn't work. I am getting the sym_hi event. Like I said in my previous post, every bios and firmware on each nodes are up to date. Thanks.

Ron
thiru_1
Occasional Advisor

i am having the same exact problem as well.... :-s.. hopefully HP guys could shed some light here...