1748275 Members
3681 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Win Server 2003 Enterprise on CL380 Cluster

Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

Check out this doc - it applies to both Windows 2000 and 2003.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EC000818_CW02

Basically what is happening is that Windows is trying to load a Symbios driver, which is the wrong one. The driver that should be loaded is the HP ProLiant 32-Bit SCSI Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003 (cpq32fs2.sys) driver.

This can be found at the Support Pack web site at: http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/69_1125.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
thiru_1
Occasional Advisor

So, are these the steps to install win2k3 on 2nd node?:
1 Press the button
2 Install Win2k3
3 Install all the right drivers
4 Press the button again
5 Join the cluster?

I just wonder why the problem doesnt exist when we do installation for 1st node as the 1st also supposedly shd have grabbed the wrong drivers, right...?

Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

Yes that's basically it. Part of the problem may be if you are trying to install Windows on the second server befiore it fully finishes on the first.

The referenced doc indicates to [push the button on the second server to isolate it from the storage. here's what I would do.

1. install Windows on the first node, with the second node powered off. You should not have to isolate the shared storage. Update the driver, then reboot. Make sure that the cluster service is running and the first node sees all the drives in the sharde storage (via Cluster Admin)

2. Once the first server is running OK. isolate the second server from the shared storage. Then install Windows. Update the driver. Then reboot the server and enable access to the shared storage. Then add it to the cluster (onkly after the new/correct driver has been installed.

Good luck

Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
thiru_1
Occasional Advisor

yep...it's all coz of the driver..it worked for me.. thanks to all! esp doug...
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

no problem

that's what we're here for!

Glad it's up and running.

Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Ron Caguin

After installing the drivers as suggested, I still couldn't get the second node to come up. Someone suggested to power everything down, unplug the power cable, let it sit for a few seconds, and do the power up sequence. It worked, cluster up and running. Puzzled but relieved. Thanks for the help.

Ron
Graeme May

On the point of SCSI ID for the two nodes.
I have had trouble configuring the SCSI ID on the 64-Bit Dual Channel Wide Ultra2 SCSI controller. I see Brians note above. When I run SCU (smartstart 5.5) under the 64 bit ultra2 controller I cannot see SCSI ID.
only Host Adapter number and controller order. Can anyone help or explain how to change or interogate the SCSI ID?