5947 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Win Server 2008 R2 on HPE Proliant DL20

Mirante
Occasional Visitor

Win Server 2008 R2 on HPE Proliant DL20

Greetings all, 

Is it possible to install Win Server 2008 R2 to the HPE Proliant DL20 Gen9? i would buy this two item for my company, the reason is we have a master program that only work in win server 2008...

4 REPLIES 4
Rafi786
HPE Pro

Good Day,

Here is the Operating System Matrix website, which states that DL20 Gen9 server doesn't support Windows Server 2008 R2.

http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/windows.aspx

Here is the Note from the above site - ProLiant Gen9 servers using Intel®s "Skylake" Xeon® E3 v5 CPUs are not certified nor supported for Windows Server 2008 R2- as per Microsoft's certification policy, Windows Server 2008 R2 has already transitioned to extended support.

Hope this helps.

Mohd Rafiuddin
I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

Mirante
Occasional Visitor

Hi, thankyou kindly for your response, so what will happen if i still try to install Win 2008 Server R2 on this machine ? are the machine would still work with this windows version, i mean is it still possible to install without any serious problem or is it totally not possible ? im sorry for this question, cause i already bought this  item, i'm just waiting until this item arrives.

Med-Hamdi
HPE Pro

Good Day,

Please find below all details needed for your Query :

HP Proliant DL20 Gen9 server doesn't support Windows Server 2008 R2. Here is the Operating System Matrix which confirm that :

http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/windows.aspx#.W_PbLdVKipo

ProLiant Gen9 servers using Intel®'s "Skylake" Xeon® E3 v5 CPUs are not certified nor supported for Windows Server 2008 R2- as per Microsoft's certification policy, Windows Server 2008 R2 has already transitioned to extended support.

HPE does not  support or guarantee the server bihavior if you try to install windows  2008 R2 Since you may face multiple issue during the OS installation.

So please refere to the provided link  and the official HPE documentation in order to identify the support OS on your Server.

Thanks.

Med_Hamdi
I work for HPE

lajblt
Occasional Visitor

Hello, one year after the last post.

Yes, IT IS possible to install MS WIndows 2008 R2 server on HPE DL20 Gen9. BIOS has to be set to "Legacy Mode" and you have to inject USB 3.0 drivers to your installation image (2008 R2 doesn't support USB 3.0 directly, so your keyboard and mouse otherwise will not working in Windows Setup :). All required drivers can be found on the HPE web site. You have to install the "wufuc" utility for Windows Update if you want the last Security Updates.

We have 2 servers fully working with no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager. No exceptions, no BSOD, no hangs. Our configuration includes even the HPE SmartArray P408i with last BIOS and drivers (from PQI, formerly Adaptec). Everything is working like charm over 18 months.

Good luck!