1748241 Members
3724 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Win XP Pro /w IDE RAID on ML310?

Hans-Uwe

Win XP Pro /w IDE RAID on ML310?

Hey there,

does anyone know how to install Win XP Pro with a mirrored set of IDE HDDs on a ProLiant ML310? The problem is that the XP installation does not recognize the RAID-Set or otherwise, after supplying the Win2000 MegaIDE-Raid Driver by Disk when setting Windows up (F6), does not continue and freezes on a black screen with cursor on the upper left.

Thanks a lot in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Phillip Williams_2
Respected Contributor

Hans

WIN/XP is not listed as supported for ML310... you may have a problem with this.

Does it work with WIN2000 ?

Eric
The world is divided into 10 types of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello,
Windows XP with or without RAID is not supported on the Proliants.

Regards,
e4services
Honored Contributor

Really,
What is "Not Supported"? This does not mean "Will not Function", just you never tested it. Please, give a viable reason why installing Windows XP Pro would not function. Enlighten us.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Stephen Grimmer
Trusted Contributor

Is it possible the disks (mirror set) has lingering data? Maybe blow that setup away and make a new clean one.

Also you could try downloading a megaraid driver from the lsi logic folks.

http://www.lsilogic.com/support/index.html

I didn't look but maybe there is a 2003 driver.

Might work?

-Stephen
e4services
Honored Contributor

Sorry I did not provide some real input, but this "Not Supported" issue bugs me.

I have a XP IDE RAID running that I am writting on now, so I know it works. I used the lastest available drive. I installed on a single drive attached to a simple IDE controller. Once installed I added the IDE RAID so XP would install the drivers for it and I could verify operation. Then I moved the single disk to the IDE RAID controller and verified the drive on the IDE RAID controller and boot. Last I added a second drive and joined it to the first as a Mirror and let it reconstruct.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Phillip Williams_2
Respected Contributor

Dear e4Services

btw this is my personal opinion, not me speaking on behalf of anyone, particularly not on behalf of HP.

In my experience (30 yrs + !) in the IT industry with many hardware & software products, what (software & hardware) works / runs / operates with it is often noted as "supported" or not. The industry convention seems to be that if the manufacturer / support organisation says something is "supported" then you can have confidence that, with the appropriate support agreements (sometimes including paying money....) someone from them will help you make it work, and if you are a BIG USER then the supplier will seriously try & help.

We then have the question of what about everything else not listed as "supported". Here we are all on our own. Some things may work - some may not. You point out you have XP working: Great! but if it all goes wrong in a few month time, tough...

I would humbly suggest if the manufacturer / supplier doesn't list it as "supported" (or whatever else he uses to describe. eg Microsofts' Hardware Compatibility lists.. hope I got the name right...) then don't bet your career / company on it working.

EG I am quite happily re-building an old Compaq PC for my cousin including putting XP on it - he'll be very happy with it.. but I would not advise anyone to rely on it operating successfully... Microsoft (I think) no longer "support" Windows 3.1 etc etc... but some souls (? lost ?) continue to use it...

Perhaps thinking about the support question from the suppliers viewpoint may help.. (not to sympathise or justify, just help understand..) Just because someone can get some piece of software to run on some piece of hardware would you want to have to shell out dollars to support it either just once or indefinitely... ??

If you (or I..) go back to read the original contract of sale for the machine / piece of software it will almost always be outlined in black & white...

If unhappy with the support situation on any box or software you can always (er.. usually.. ) go elsewhere...

Hope this helps...

Eric (with serious scars on his back having tried to make "unsupported" systems work in real live situations and it (only sometimes) hurt.... but occasionally hurt a lot...

regards
The world is divided into 10 types of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't