4759 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Win XP on ML310 G4 with RAID 1

Joseph Barbier
Occasional Advisor

Win XP on ML310 G4 with RAID 1

Hi,
i create a raid 1 on my ML310 g4, and i have to install win xp pro (the software i have to use doesnt work on w2k3)

when i install, it ask me that there is no hard drive. when i try to specify some drivers (HP drivers but, for 2k3), it doesn't work.
i tried with others drivers for ICH7 (because the Sata card is an onboard ICH7.) but it still doesnt work.

is anybody have the solution to install properly windows XP pro on a raid1 on this computer ?

thanks in advance
regards
Joseph
long time ago, i had a life, but i bought a computer and a modem...
17 REPLIES 17
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: Win XP on ML310 G4 with RAID 1

Hello Joseph,

"If" you are using the correct drivers, You may using a 3rd party software nLITE & integrate this drivers to the OS; & create a bootable CD.

Refer:

www.nliteos.com

Regards,
James.
Joseph Barbier
Occasional Advisor

unfortunately, i haven't find the correct driver for the embedded sata/raid card on this computer.

i tried many drivers, and some others drivers from others manufacturers with the same chipset (ICH7) but, it doesnt recognize it...

i called HP support this afternoon and they told me that there is no drivers for Win XP for this...
only 2k3 is supported by HP drivers on the website.

if you have some drivers which works on this card, it will help me a lot.

thanks,
regards,
Joseph
HP_Sammy
Trusted Contributor

Hi Joseph,

Models described as SAS models include an 8-port host bus adapter (HBA) that supports both SATA and SAS hard drives in non-RAID, RAID 0, or RAID 1 configurations. HP 8 Internal Port SAS HBA with RAID (in PCI-X slot) (SAS Models)
Models described as SATA/SAS support SATA hard drives standard, and require the installation of an HBA or controller to support SAS. Embedded SATA with integrated SATA RAID 0,1 (SATA/SAS Models)

Co could u tell me which controller is installed in the server.
And also are u using an hp fdd or a 3rd party fdd.

Cheers :)
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

I wish I could Joseph,
But This server only supports a set of OS, which does not include Xp;

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/family/model/6308.html?submit.y=4&submit.x=13тМй=en&cc=uk

Regards,
James.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello HP_Sammy,

Joseph is referring to the SATA/SAS drivers for XP; All that you suggested is true, however you cant proceed without the drivers; Can u ?

I would be interested !

Regards,
James.
Joseph Barbier
Occasional Advisor

i use only the sata onboard i dont have the exact name with me, i'm not @ work anymore , and i use a 3rd party internal fdd.
i plugged it and it looks working fine.

i saw that XP is not on the list of supported OS, but it's strange that basics ICH7 drivers (i tried with drivers from different motherboards with ICH7) doesnt work with this card. it's an Intel chipset. why HP block it with some specific drivers ? :)

excuse my english...

so, i need the drivers, i think it will be ok with my floppy :)

regards
Joseph
HP_Sammy
Trusted Contributor

Hi Joseph,

Try the following driver

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26742.html

Try to use HP USB fdd if possible if not then will have to add the manufacturer id of fdd to the txtsetup.oem last line and its one of the file in the above driver link.

eg of last line of the file will be will be like

"
[HardwareIds.scsi.ADAPTEC_AHCIRAID]
# Intel
id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&SUBSYS_3206103C", "adpahci"
id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&SUBSYS_31FE103C", "adpahci"

"

And for eg if u r using a sony fdd then in add the following in the last line

id = "USB\VID_054C&PID_002C", "usbstor" #--Sony

Where in the above eg "USB\VID_054C&PID_002C" is the manufacturer id and Sony is the vendors name.

And if u can find ur manufacturer id in the floppy drive driver's .inf file , and make sure any legacy floppy drives are disabled in the system Bios.

And if the above drivers doesnt work then try 1 of the old drivers from the link below

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/revision/9780.html

Cheers :)

Joseph Barbier
Occasional Advisor

i tried with the drivers that you gave me the link with an internal fdd. do i have to do the same thing that you describe if i use a old internal fdd ? the fdd seems working fine.

the controller's name, given by HP Smart Start is "intel 82801 GR SATA RAID controller" so i tried too with drivers from intel.
and it doesnt work...
this chip is on many motherboard, but HP add something that which make not working with others drivers than HP drivers.

when i disable the RAID option in the bios, i can install windows XP (i'm doing it now, i hope it will work properly...)

regards
Joseph
Joseph Barbier
Occasional Advisor

so, i called HP support again.

finally, i talk with someone which know a little more about computer than the first time.

this computer is not compatible with XP...
HP will not provide drivers for components...
great idea...
so, my server is useless...
thanks to HP who didn't tell me that when i order it...

i think i will install a 2k3 on it, then a XP on a virtual machine...

thanks for your help guys, u are more efficient than HP support :)