Win2003 on ML310 G1

SOLVED
Go to solution
jgcg
Occasional Advisor

Win2003 on ML310 G1

ML310 G1 - Machine currently set up for Raid 1

Need to upgrade to Win2003 from Win2K.

Am using Smartstart 7.90 (version 8 would not proceed beyond "Server Deployment - Hardware Configuration" page).

I am choosing the option to "Continue deployment with current configuration."

Then the check for supported OS comes back saying that Primary controller does not support Windows 2003.

Anyone know how I can proceed from here?

J

14 REPLIES
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: Win2003 on ML310 G1

Well J, You said it.
Its not supported.

However, you may try installing the OS without using the SS CD.
Use the OS CD directly, Provide the drivers.

If this is Fresh install, You may try clearing the NVRAM & Using the ERASE utility(use SS CD)

Regards,
jgcg
Occasional Advisor

Afraid I am quite new to this and have been trying to find out what the 'Primary Controller' refers to - are we talking 'Primary Domain Controller' here or something to do with the RAID setup?

If PDC then this machine is no longer on the domain it was on so this should not be an issue.

J
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Since this is a new installation, Its nowhere related to PDC; Its referring to the RAID Controller(hardware piece) where the HDDs are connected.

Regards,
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

first of all Generation 1 servers only support Smartstart CD 5.5 and second of all I think you should load the W2003 manually but you need to press F6 to load the driver

you don't mention which controller your server has

http://www.sndhm.net/docs/compaq/products/servers/proliantml310/11446_div.html

and by default can be

Integrated Single Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter (SCSI Models) OR
Integrated Dual Channel Ultra ATA-100 IDE Adapter with Integrated ATA RAID 0, 1, & 1+ 0 (ATA Models)

anyway all the drivers for controller here
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3279699&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=327415&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005#113214

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
jgcg
Occasional Advisor

Hi

Back on this now. Thanks for replies so far, very helpful.

Have now managed to load Win2003... several times... so there is now another issue...

The controller in the box is the 'Integrated Dual Channel Ultra ATA-100 IDE Adapter'

With smartstart 5.5 I seem to be able to set the box up ok (after first deleting the configuration). I do a manual config and say that the OS will be Windows Server 2000. It sets the system up and then asks for the Win CD. I bung in the Win2003 cd and press F6 to load the correct driver. Everything is smooth until I get to the part where Windows is set up and partitions are created. This is the odd bit -

I have already set up the Raid 1 config in the Bios but Windows set up sees 2 drives whereas I would think it should only see the array as one drive. I have run through set up several times to see whether this would be resolved when the OS is installed but no. The OS sees 2 drives but the Bios is set to RAID 1 configuration.

Now I am a complete newbie to server setup so there may be something simple here that I am missing (the point for example) but I believe that hardware based raid 1 should only show as 1 drive to the OS.

Any ideas chaps?

TIA

J
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

well in that case

did you configure the RAID 1? you can try reconfigure it

also are you loading the correct driver?
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=327415&prodNameId=3279699&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-UNITY-I23400

regards
jgcg
Occasional Advisor

Yes am loading the correct driver.

Is it possibe to configure the raid after the OS is installed (its installed now)?

If not, for a 'from scratch' install of W2003, what procedure should I follow with this server?

J

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

mmm I am really not too much familiar with that controller so I am not able to tell you if you could create your RAID after OS install in 1 HDD (like SATA embedded controller)

and procedure I think the one your following nothing special just a manual installation:

- you create your RAID
- insert Windows CD
- Press F6
- load driver and continue next next next...

regards
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi jgcg

I don't if you fixed it already

but I got similar issue today and I found that your controller is

Integrated Dual Channel Ultra ATA-100 IDE Adapter with Integrated ATA RAID 0, 1, & 1+ 0 (ATA Models)

you you should try this driver instead

HP ProLiant CSB-6 ATA-100 IDE RAID Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=MTX-UNITY-I23401&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

try and let us know
regards
jgcg
Occasional Advisor

Hmm

Guess that means I will have to build the server again to find out if this is right.

Documentation on this server is as clear as mud to me.

Thanks

J
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

well it's up to you

so in that case what did you use to install it?

no RAID?

regards
jgcg
Occasional Advisor

No raid.

To run a successful Win2003 intall I used the first driver that you recomended but no raid. Driver goes in without error though.

Am now going to rebuild and use the second driver to see if any joy.

Thanks for your help by the way

J
jgcg
Occasional Advisor

Done it.

Although the driver you recoemened was not the one it succeeded with in the end.

I Found this one:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=uk&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=327415&prodNameId=3279699&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-UNITY-I23400

and option 3 seemed to do it.

I'm so happy....

Thanks for all your help you definitely helped to get me there.

Regards

J
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Glad to hear that

and thanks for the points