Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win2K Shows only half of installed memory

Dan C.
Occasional Visitor

Win2K Shows only half of installed memory

Proliant DL380

Upgraded RAM from 1GB to 6GB. POST shows 6GB but Win2K shows only 3.6GB. I checked BIOS but couldn't find any settings that may apply. The server apparently has a 12GB max so this shouldn't be a problem. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dan
5 REPLIES
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: Win2K Shows only half of installed memory

Hi Dan,
There is a switch available on MS site to correct this issue. You have to add either max mem in the boot.ini or another one which I dont remember right now. Please visit Technet site and you will be able to find the answer to your problem. If you can't find it let me know I shall find it for you.

Regards,
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Dan,
Here is the link which might help you resolve the memory issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283037

Regards,
Dan C.
Occasional Visitor

Hi Sunil!
Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately adding that /PAE switch causes our server to 'Blue Screen' shortly after it boots up. Fortunately it stayed up long enought to remove the switch and reboot nicely. Thanks.

Dan

Dan C.
Occasional Visitor

Ok .. it's an oversight on my part. We're running Win2K Server which has a memory max of 4GB. Advanced Server has an 8GB max and Datacenter has a 32GB max. There's nothing we can do but return the extra 2Gigs and live with 4. Later.

Dan
Chris Cassano
Occasional Visitor

I am also experiencing this same issue. I have 7GB of RAM installed and verified in the BIOS. In Windows 2k advanced server sp4 the amount of RAM reported is 3.6GB.
I have tried adding the /PAE parameter in the boot.ini file, but this parameter blue screens the machine during boot with the message "Machine halted - Contact Hardware Vendor". I am running on a ML530 G2 Proliant, 7GB RAM, Dual 2.8 Xeon's, 12 32GB U320 SCSI drives, PCI Compaq NC7770 Gigabit Server adapter, PCI HP Smart Array 6402 controller. Perhaps I should follow the blue screen instructions...

Chris