108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Win2k not recognizing scsi drive on ML370

SOLVED
Go to solution
Keith Hummel
Occasional Advisor

Win2k not recognizing scsi drive on ML370

We recently decommissioned a ML370 and want to turn it into a testing server. We fdisked the drives and now we cant install Win2k Adv Server. I tried going through the Smart Start CD v5.0 and it wonтАЩt work because the CD that we have is a multiboot between pro/server/adv server. I tried going straight from the CD but it doesnтАЩt have the SCSI drivers nor can I find them anywhere on floppy so I can hit F6.

On another note, how can you setup the array? Does it have to be done after the install? The disks that it creates are not bootable. I hit F10 and go to the Array Config Utility and it recognizes the disks and wants me to reboot but it wonтАЩt go into the utility after the r
14 REPLIES 14
Tv_3
Respected Contributor

Witch array controller is insite the machine?

regards.
Chaos, Panic or Disaster??? Always Stay Calm, I will fix it.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

You should be able to configure if you boot off the Smart Start cd and run the array configuration utility from there.

You don't have to install the os using the Smart Start process. Just select the manual install method when you first boot off the cd.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I forgot to mention ...

If you don't have an array configured then Windows install won't see a drive.
Keith Hummel
Occasional Advisor

The only info that I can get on the array controler is what is in the system information. It says:

Compaq Integrated Duel Channel Wide Ultra SCSI Controler
(2 Ports)

Link to the drivers page:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1119.html

I can not get into the Array Config Utility. There is no Array Config Option on the CD and when I go into the Utilities on the HD, The array config utility wont work because of the problem in my first post. In the install opperating system option, there is no option for windows. The only options are DOS, os/2, netware, Unix, Win NT and Other.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

It sounds like there's no array controller installed.

This will require specifying the embedded scsi controller driver during the Win2000 install:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17320.html
Keith Hummel
Occasional Advisor

I was able to get W2k Adv installed but I can not find any utility to be able to setup the array. I have tried to install the following packages:

cp003195
cp000785
cp001954
and the web based array config utility

The web based utility installed but it cannot find any controlers.
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

Keith, as Terry suggested, you don't have an array controller installed. If you had your drives connected to one then you would have been required to configure it before you were able to install the OS.

The POST will show the array controller discovering logical drives if you have one.
Keith Hummel
Occasional Advisor

How do I install the array controller? When this server was in production it had the first 2 disks mirrored and the rest in a raid 5. I know that it was not software raid. I checked on another identical server that is still in production and it is not using software raid.

Should the controller be identified by windows or does it have to be installed manually?
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

You'll probably need to physically install it, configure the array, then reinstall everything all over again.