4855 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Win2k3 Resources not avail. Not seeing NICs

SOLVED
Go to solution

Win2k3 Resources not avail. Not seeing NICs

OK I have a Proliant DL145 G2 running Server 2003 R2 x32

I cannot install drivers for the embedded NICs because they don't show up anywhere (except bios and yes they are enabled)

I also have a resource conflict with my graphics card Nvidia Gforce MX/MX 400
"The Device cannot find enough free resources that it can use"(Code 12)

I have the same problem on 2 out of 3 of my Nforce PCI-Express Root Ports.

Through playing with the bios settings i have determined that this resource conflict is what is stopping the NIC cards from being recognized but I can't figure out how to fix it.

If someone has seen this before and solved it please help I have been searching for 2 days for an answer in every support forum and support site i can find.
8 REPLIES 8
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Win2k3 Resources not avail. Not seeing NICs

David:

Have you found a solution to your issue? If so, can you please share it with the rest of us. If I find a solution, I will post as well. I am in the same situation.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)

The solution was a bad motherboard. Working with HP Support we found through troubleshooting that the motherboard was stealing system resources and tying them up for no purpose thus creating the insufficiant resource problem and causing the network cards not to appear. After replacing the mother board everything was recognized and installed properly. So if any one sees this again you can bet that you got a bad motherboard.

Replace Motherboard

ill leave this open incase you have any other questions about what exactly the symptoms were
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I did end up fixing the resource issue by disabling a few unneeded items in the bios. I probably will call to have it replaced, but right now it is working just fine.

If anyone wants to know what was disabled, let me know. I will do back to the bios and look.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE

When I had the problem I would have had to disable both nics and other things to get it to "work". although I hardly consider that working. if you had to disable hardware in the bios to get the system to work, I would bet there is something deeper causing that problem. Are all of the things you disabled on-board devices??
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

the PS/2 mouse
the Multimedia timer and
something else.

The only onboard device would be the PS/2 mouse, which is really just a port and I am not using it. Nor do I need any multimedia support since this is a server in a server environment.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE

Well even though you may not need those devices I would still have HP replace the motherboard. Who knows whether the problem will get worse over time and start to lock up more resources and it also will stop you from being able to add hardware to the server even if the need is unlikely.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I agree, which is why I will call them as soon as I get back onsite. Not currently onsite to work on the issue.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE