ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752568 Members
5668 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: WinXP on a DL140?

robert ayers_1

WinXP on a DL140?

I have an application that would be great to run on WinXP Pro on one of my DL140 G2's, however, whenever I try to install WinXP pro, the installer goes to BSOD with an error in pci.sys...?

I've seen other threads on the forums where people are running XP on DL series servers... can anyone tell me how they pulled it off?

Thanks,

Rob =)
6 REPLIES 6
mark_283
Honored Contributor

DL140D2 can not support Winxp os.
you are try use WinXP CD boot this server.
robert ayers_1

Thanks for the response Mark.

Yes, I am using the WinXP Pro CD to attempt the install.

The reason I asked on the forums here is that I noticed a couple of threads where people state that they are running WinXP on models that, according to official HP channels, "don't support WinXP".

I would like to hear how these folks have done it, and/or any thoughts anyone has on exactly why XP is not "supported", and if there may be some "unsupported" way to get it to work.

Thanks!

Rob =)
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi Robert

Nice one
"unsupported" way to get it to work.

ok server you are holding is with SCSI and SATA. OR SATA Only and have you tried installation with SATA did Xp recognized it or not, if not which build og XP CD did we used.

Try to look for SATA chipset info from server then chceck this link
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=/Product/ASR-2130S

Or tried the attached driver (not sure this will work but give it try and update on forum)

Please share let see what we can look for

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
robert ayers_1

hi Prashant,

Server is SCSI (the LSI adaptor)... Sorry, but I'm at home right now and don't have access to any specs.

I have also tried the WinXP install on DL145 and DL360 models, with the same results.

The installer seems to recognize the the controller and proceeds to copy files, then towards the end of this initial file copy process it BSOD's with the following error:
------------------------------
STOP: 0x0000007E
(0xC0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0xF748DA208, 0xF78D9F08)
Pci.sys - address F748E0BF base at F7487000, Datestamp 3B7D855C
------------------------------

I looked this up on the M$ knowlege base, and it attributed the error to a low-level hardware or unknown bios feature as the cause of the BSOD and recommended going though the bios and disabling every "advanced" feature... I haven't tried this yet, but am not optimistic given the very few features you can control on the DL140 model. I guess I'll have to break down and try this when I get a chance to.

It sounds reasonable that HP tacks something onto the bios that the installer doesn't like...

Anyway, would really love for someone who has run WinXP on a proliant-class server to chime in with their experiences.

Anyways, thanks!

Rob =)

PS-
I've spoken with my HP sales and technical reps about wanting to run XP on this box, and they quickly say "well, WinXP is not supported", even though if I can't find a way to run it I'll have to find another manufacturer's machines to start spec'ing for this application.. odd.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

have you tried the attached driver file
If not then give it a try

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Keith Romberg
Frequent Advisor

I installed XP Pro on a ML570 without a problem and it uses the LSI controllers also. I did have to load the drivers from the floppy created through the SS 5.5 cd. Make sure you have the drivers. XP will work correctly with the drivers from its install database.

Keith