ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748080 Members
5146 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows 2000 Advanced Server on DL385 G2

Mark Fukuchi

Windows 2000 Advanced Server on DL385 G2

Hi there, trying to install Windows 2000 Advanced Server (/w SP4) on a new ProLiant DL385 G2. I go through the motions of booting from my Windows 2000 setup disk and get as far as formatting the partition. Just after formatting is complete, the installation prompts me to insert the disk labled as "ProLiant Support Pack for Microsoft Windows 2000 Storage Products", and it wants it inserted into Drive A:. Well, the PSP is well over 80MB, certainly won't fit on a floppy diskette. I've made various stabs at using the virtual media options available with iLO2 to no avail. At this point, I have to option to press to continue (of course it won't continue because I cannot give it whgat it is asking for) or press toi quit and ultimately abort the build.

Now, I know that officially HP states that Win2k is not supported on this hardware, but I can't understand why they provide Win2k drivers if the server is not intended for a Win2k environment.

Does anyone have any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

let me ask you previously the server had any other OS?

D385 G2
try updating the server using firmware CD 7.9
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27783.html

after that try installing windows 2000 SP4 again

just to be sure did you another W2000 CD?
is that installation onsite? or using ilo?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Mark,
Virtual media wont work; As for obvious reason you stated.

& yes, indeed this OS is not supported on this Hardware; However, you may use nlite software;
www.nliteos.com
You may use this software to integrate all necessary DRIVERS & PSP into the OS files;
Burn the END result(ISO image) to a DVD & boot from it;
Let us know how it goes !

James.
Mark Fukuchi

Thanks for both of your suggestions...

>Karlo, the server is brand new... Initially I installed Win2k3 Enterprise Server but discovered that the app that the server is intended for is not certified for 2k3 by the vendor. It took the build for 2k3 without issue. I certainly understand the benefit of ensuring that firmware is updated, but what end would that serve in this situation?

>Happy Dude, your suggestion interests me, I've worked with 'slipstream' type OS installs in the past (c/o Barts PE, etc...), but have never come across nliteos, interesting product. Anyhow... So you're saying that I should be able to integrate the PSP? I've found that integrating the RAID drivers is no problem but I cannot seem to figure out how and where to intgrate the PSP, any suggestions?
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Mark,

Refer:
http://www.nliteos.com/guide/part1.html

6th Screenshot onwards!

Regards,
James.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

what happy dude suggested is "nlite" an application in case you new for example add the controller driver for the server or any other driver that maybe W2000 does not include PSP must be installed after the OS is installed, PSP can not be installed using nlite

install W2000 (try firmware update first) try again W2000 installation if fails try to find you what the W2000 is asking for

and let us know

regards
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Yea... I tried... but didnt work;
I think PSP's SUM(software Update Manager) needs to be installed separetly;

Any luck Mark ?
Mark Fukuchi

Thank you both once again...

Yeah, integrating the PSP for Win2k doesn't seem to work. Initially, I tried adding the 3rd party storage driver and tweaking many of the options available within nlite. Unfortunately, I found that the build would hang indefinitely on the "save settings" portion in the final steps of the build. Seems that several people have reported similar issues with nlite created builds.

Anyway, after that I decided to trim down my build; integrating only the 3rd party storage driver and skipping the rest of the fun stuff... This worked. But then I got a little motivated and tried integrating all of the necessary drivers so that I don't end up with any exclamation points in device manager post-build... This build attempt once again produced the hang in the "save settings" screen... I'll be troubleshooting a little more today... I'll also try the firmware update as Karlo suggested.

Any ideas on what's the deal with the hanging?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi
remember happy dude recommends just try the driver for the controller which most of the time give us a lot of issues. (I really dont know if W2000 includes the driver for the controller this server has)

so if you install W2000 successfully go ahead download PSP and install it that will help you in case you end up will unknown devices

anything else let us know
regards
Mark Fukuchi

Hi all, didn;t want to leave you hanging...

We can close up this thread. I took the advice of both contributors (Karlo and Happy Dude) and ensured that all firmware was updated and created a custom Win2kAS build with the 3rd party storage drivers. For whatever reason, the first several custom setup discs that I made with nlite didn't work as seamlessly as I'd have liked... Eventually, everything worked out swimmingly...

Thanks all.
Mark