ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748216 Members
3832 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows 2000 on a DL380 G3: cpqphp.sys takes a long time to load

Sergey Svishchev

Windows 2000 on a DL380 G3: cpqphp.sys takes a long time to load

DL380 G3 is running with latest BIOS (09/15/2004). No extra PCI cards are installed.

Windows 2000 Server is fully updated, too (SP4, post-SP4 rollup and newer hotfixes). CPQPHP.SYS driver version is 6.1.2.5.

During bootup, the machine spends ~10 minutes at splash screen, seemingly doing nothing. I've added "/noguiboot /sos /bootlog" to boot string in boot.ini, and looks like that CPQPHP.SYS is the culprit. Since this machine has no extra PCI cards, and hot plug PCI feature won't be ever used, I thought I could just deinstall this driver. However, a "Customer Advisory EM041203_CW01" says:

<<
To stop CPQPHP from loading, contact HP Support at 1-800-HP-INVENT. Reference Customer Advisory EM041203_CW01 when calling.

The CPQPHP driver cannot be uninstalled or removed in the usual manner using the Windows Device Manager.
>>

Unfortunately, local HP support team could not provide me with instructions and suggested that I ask here.
7 REPLIES 7
RaMpaNTe
Trusted Contributor

Hi this is a known issue and this is what happens A ProLiant server with PCI Hot Plug functionality running W2K or any edition of W2K3 may experience a memory leak when the ProLiant PCI Hot Plug Controller Driver (CPQPHP.SYS) for W2K / W2K3 Version 6.3.0.1 (or earlier) is loaded. The memory leak eventually drains the memory resources, causing the server to blue screen.

You may try to install and allow the set up to override all installed components.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24536.html

This will resolve the issue. since the driver version on your machine is kinda old

Chill
RaMpaNTe
You heve a question... I have an aswer!!!
gator_2

I am having same issue. Can't get into Safe Mode. LKGC doesn't help. Disabled PCI hot plug options under F9 post. Have tried loading same drvier from another server & newer driver that was posted by RaMpaNTe. HP support reps that I have been speaking to are unable to assist currently. They keep discounting the memoery leak issue. At a loss, about to rebuild server from scratch. I would appreciate any more details on the memory leak issue & workaround for future notes.
Sergey Svishchev

I've updated just the driver (to 6.3.2.1) and will check if it had any effect when I have the chance to reboot the machine.
Dan Wothke

Any luck with resolving this problem? I am having the same problem as we speak and our email is down.

Thanks!

Sergey Svishchev

No, after driver update the machine still pauses at startup (but otherwise functions normally). I didn't try to reinstall entire Support Pack.

Also, CPQPHP may not be the cause of the problem -- it just happens to be the last driver loaded before kernel switches to graphics mode.
Eviny

Dear Friend one solution that I found was to start the server with the option "Enable boot Logging" pressing F8 when Windows begin, after that just run Chkdsk.exe, Autochk.exe, or Chkntfs.exe tools, be sure that any USB o External equipment will be disconnected when you run this operation, if you want you can replace or remove the CPQPAP.SYS file as is indicated in the past.
Sergey Svishchev

I have reinstalled Windows on this machine, problem gone.