108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows 2003 Server on a Proliant DL380/733

SOLVED
Go to solution
John_602
Advisor

I forgot one thing. Before I upgraded the BIOS with the online version. I re-ran the bios upgrade with the offline- rom-paq version. It said that my bios was already up to date with 12/18/2002 but I ran it anyway.

I also just installed the latest support pack and everything is still running. the computer type is ACPI multiproccessor pc.
Brandon Powers
Occasional Advisor

John and Frank,

I've already upgraded my BIOS with the latest offline ROMPaq to no effect.

I wonder if there is something to selecting Advanced Server. I can't really do a system erase though. I wonder if there is another way to set that? I don't remember seeing that (Advanced Server) option when running the system partition utilities.

Thanks,
Brandon
Jon Ward
Trusted Contributor

Review the Upgrading the Windows Server 2003 White Paper at ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/supportinformation/papers/tc030408in_rev0_us.pdf and see if there was anything that was overlooked.
Kevin Tribelhorn

With help from Franks "do-over" steps, I was able to do the same thing this past weekend. Just and FYI, this is what I did:

- I used the smart start CD version 5.3 (didn't have 5.4)
- Ran system erase utiltiy.
- Restarted system.
- Smartstart started and chose to manually configure the system.
- Choose Windows 2000 advanced server( English)
- Configured 2 arrays in my case an 8GB RAID 0+1, followed by a RAID 5 for the remainder. Using the 5300 controller in slot 3 which came up already configured (since the onboard controller isn't attached to anything.) The controller in slot 3 is primary as its theonly one in use.
- Let Smartstart reboot the server as many times as needed. I thought at this point something got hosed since it reboot a couple of times, but eventually it came up with the "place server install CD in drive wizard".
- Placed Win2003 server CD n drive and manually installed Windows 2003 from CD.

Once this was done, I download the 7.10A support pack from here: http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/supportpaq.html and installed what I could. A few items didn't install, but I'm not sure if they needed to be or not.

Then I installed, NAV, and all Win2K3 server hot fixes before I connected the server to the network.

Next I installed Baseline Analyser and ran a scan. Once that was done I ran Windows Update immediately to patch any other holes.

And that was it. Server is running fine, though it seems to me to be a tad "sluggish". Not sure why. Event viewer doesn't show any errors or such.

All in all a fairly perfect setup.

Thanks Frank for the initial insite.

Kevin
Kevin Tribelhorn

Oops, one more thing. You need to upgrade your BIOS to the newest P17 version: http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17424.html

From what i read, this is the latest and last ROMPaq for the DL380 (G1) servers.
Jon Ward
Trusted Contributor

If it seems a little sluggish, see if you have degraded hardware by accessing the hp System Management Homepage from http://ipaddress:2301 .