ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752780 Members
6504 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows 2003 install on a DL360 G1 hangs at starting windows

Andrew VanSpronsen

Windows 2003 install on a DL360 G1 hangs at starting windows

Windows 2003 Server install hangs on a DL360 at the screen "setup is starting windows". We updated to the latest bios level but still no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks!
AndrewV
15 REPLIES 15
WebWalker
Advisor

Hi Andrew

I think you should consult the compatibility hardware list of the windows 2003 to verify that the whoole system end its component are supported.

Make a great day.

Luca
sputnix
Frequent Advisor

Hi Andrew,

I would try to install manuall the OS, I had a similarly problem with a dl380.
You need the newest SmartArray driver from the web on a floppy. Hit F6 during the installation and add the SmartArray driver from the floppy.

andreas

Andrew VanSpronsen

The latest Compaq Integrated Array Controller driver is the same version that W2K3 tries to install. I tried anyway but still no luck.
Andrew VanSpronsen

I also don't seem to be able to enter the BIOS. I have heard that if the wrong OS is listed that that can cause this sort of behaviour. I don't get a prompt to enter BIOS or even F10 to enter the system partition utilities.

I see this exact behaviour on two DL360 I am trying to build with W2K3
sputnix
Frequent Advisor

Maybe I├В┬┤m wrong, but I have a similarily problem, there is e newer driver available, don├В┬┤t use the array driver coming with 2003. For my problem, it was the solution!

Have a nice weekend!

andrea
e4services
Honored Contributor

Did the unit have a previous install with the SmartStart CD? That is where the OS selection comes from.
Try starting with clean hard drives. Do a manual install, supply your own drivers from download. Do not use the SmartStart CD
Hot Swap Hard Drives
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Andrew,

I personally would try my best to perform a Smart Start assisted OS install.

So, are you using SS7? If so, start fresh by first running the SYSTEM ERASE utility from the smart start CD.

Reboot the server and look for "F9 to enter RBSU" here you should be able to find the OS selection part under "Advanced" menu. Select Windows 2003.

Continue with the OS install. If this doesn't work, then your next step would be to download the SA driver on a floppy, install Win2k3 manually and loading the SA driver at the "F6 to load drivers" part.

See how you go with this,

Regards,
Victor_102

No additional drivers are required. The ones on the Windows 2003 CD are fine.
What you need to do is use an old Smart Start CD v5.X, then carry out a manual installation selecting Windows 2000 as your operating system. Allow the server to carry out all its usual tasks like creating the system partition and configure the array before inserting the 2003 CD when asked for operating system CD.

Good luck
Victor_102

No additional drivers are required. The ones on the Windows 2003 CD are fine.
What you need to do is use an old Smart Start CD v5.X, then carry out a manual installation selecting Windows 2000 as your operating system. Allow the server to carry out all its usual tasks like creating the system partition then configure the array before inserting the 2003 CD when asked for operating system CD.

Good luck