108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Windows 2008 R2 Install failure on DL 120 G7 B110i RAID controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
GodsAdmin
Advisor

Windows 2008 R2 Install failure on DL 120 G7 B110i RAID controller

Failure to see ORCA RAID configured logical drive.  Doesn't matter whether I use the 2008 setup app or SmartStart 8.70 x64 DVD. 

I transferred the 2008R2 install to a USB key, (Windows setup finally stopped asking me for a 'missing CD/DVD device driver...blah, blah, blah."  cryptic BS), but now wants a array driver - supplied setup with all of the array drivers HP has for the DL 120 G7 Smart Array controller, none of which are acceptable for 2008 R2 setup. 

SmartStart CD can see the logical drive created, but then stalls after requesting 2008 R2 media.  Something about "...inserted media seems valid, continuing..."  but there is no continuing.  It sticks a 27% never to move again.

I've scoured the web and forums on this but all of the solutions provided fail or don't apply.   

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
- Douglas Adams
15 REPLIES 15
GodsAdmin
Advisor

I've re-downloaded the ISO for Win2k8R2 and reburned the USB key and DVDs (Thanks OldCompGeek).  Still no luck with the SmartStart install.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
- Douglas Adams
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

HP ProLiant Smart Array Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2008 x64 Editions

Type: Driver - Storage

Version: 6.16.0.64 (5 Apr 2011)

Operating System(s): Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Essential Business, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Small Business, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 x64

File name:cp013704.exe (744 KB)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=5075933&prodNameId=5075937&swEnvOID=4064&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-12f912453fee48179ee8c834d2

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
GodsAdmin
Advisor

Yep, tried that one first.  Thanks for replying   I had really high hopes...  but alas, MS setup declared:

The [HP SmartArray B110i: SATA RAID Controller (D:\Driver - Storage\HpAHCIsr.inf)] device

driver could not be installed.  Contact your vendor for an updated driver.

Essentially 2008R2 setup is looking for a storage controller, I provide one, it likes it - or recognizes that it is a driver for that device, but then can't, for reasons unknown, install it.   So close, but no cigar. 
As far as getting an updated version?  That is the updated version.

- Douglas Adams
GodsAdmin
Advisor

Here's an idea, and I'm just green-lighting here, would formatting the RAID partition help 2008R2 setup to see the target drive?  I've never had to do this before but maybe it's something new. 

I know this is a low end RAID controller, but I work for a non-profit so that's what we have to deal with.  Perhaps someone from HP could chime in and tell me what I'm doing wrong.  Square peg, round hole?  Does this controller not support this config? 

- Douglas Adams
GodsAdmin
Advisor

I mis-characterized the issue.  SmartStart 8.70 does see the logical RAID drive.  It does not, however, install the OS from either a DVD or USB key.   If I select DVD as my source it copies files then asks for valid media,  it then says, cautiously, "The disk inserted appears valid - continuing."  But of course you know how that turns out... apparently continuing does not imply anytime in the near future.   If I choose USB Key as my OS source SS 8.70 never finds the USB device, despite Rescaning/reinserting ad infinitum. 

I can't help but think that HP and Microsoft no longer colaborate.   I can't win here; HP can't see Microsoft's OS and Microsoft can't see HP's hardware.  Awesome!

- Douglas Adams
jmquesadarivel
Frequent Advisor

2 things, this  server has embedded on system board the HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller  but the performance model has the HP Smart Array P212/256MB Controller, if you have the P212 (check while Post for the model) I recommend you to disable the B110i on the BIOS.

note: Smartstart does not have the B110i driver integrated, thats why it cant see it.

to install the OS boot directly to with Widows image, after it is installed run the PSP or SPP to get everything complete.

GodsAdmin
Advisor

Thanks for responding jm!  I took your advise and disabled the RAID controller in the RBSU.  I enabled SATA AHCI support.   I did not however see any alternate controller during the POST.  I booted to my 2008R2 USB key and setup saw two of my four drives - not sure if it was seeing RAID configs from previous configs, but that seems improbable given that I just disabled  the RAID support.  Sadly, 2008R2 setup could not, would not install Windows server on either of those drives - I tried partitioning, formatting, unpartitioning, all ended with another vague Microsoft error: Windows cannot determine if the drive is a valid volume - cannot install  [I'm paraphrasing].

Any other thoughts?  Anyone out there... Surely someone has installed 2008R2 x64 on a DL120 G7 with this crappy RAID controller.

- Douglas Adams
GodsAdmin
Advisor

Smart Start DOES see the B110i controller. And the ACU works great. What SS 8.70 does not see is Windows 2008 server media...in any form.
- Douglas Adams
GodsAdmin
Advisor

No Accepted Solution. 

So obviously I'm missing something...   How can one purchase an HP Gen7 DL  server and a 3 yr old MS 64 bit server OS and have them not be compatible?  Seriously.   Two giants of modern server infrastructure and they missed each other on this one?   I'm used to jumping through hoops to get these two to work together but I'm outta hoops.  

Surely there is some way to shoe-horn this OS on to this hardware.  No?   Someone at HP did it... because there was a big check mark in the OS compatibility matrix next to Microsoft 2008 Server R2!   

Anyone at HP want to chime in?

- Douglas Adams