ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752801 Members
5482 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows 2008, Server Hang

virorum

Windows 2008, Server Hang

I have two identical servers (ML150 G5s).

One runs a collection of domain services (Active Directory, DNS, etc...) the other runs SQL Server 2008.

Every so often one or other of them will fail catastrophically. The error in the BIOS system log, and which I can view thru the LO100c is CPU0 Err.

I can't see that both machines would have a defective processor...

Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

I've changed the memory in both before I tracked it to this CPU error.

It appears to happen when there is sudden activity or a prolonged period of intense activity, but the temperature sensors never get very high at all.
40 REPLIES 40
jorgus
Advisor

I have the same problem. Windows 2008, 64-bit. It seemed to be running OK at first but in the course of time it started hanging even a few times a day. HP changed the motherboard, then the CPU (not sure about that - it is in remote location, someone else was struggling with HP). Eventually they told us to downgrade to Windows 2003 (!?). It's not really a solution to me as I have AD in native 2008 mode there with Exchange, SQL, CRM and other stuff. There is no chance whatsoever to move this domain to a Windows 2003 box and deployment from scratch seems a bit too daunting to me.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi jorgus

sorry I don't have a fix for that issue
but whoever told you to downgrade to W2003 has a little mind
that's not a workaround to fix an issue...
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
DHRF

I have 3 identical ml150 G5: 4g ram, 2 sata in raid1, lsi raid card, 1 Xeon E5405 quad core.

All 3 have:
server 2008 std x64 (AD, DNS, DHCP, IIS)
SQL 2008 std x64
Trend antivirus
UPS protected

Each server in a diferent branch office.

All soft up to date and last HP drivers for the plataform.

server load only 10 sql users (sql take no more than 300 megabytes of ram) with cpu very low load.

ALL 3 servers hung 4+ times a day!!!!!!!!! red led!!! no BSOD and no Bios error log.

I test all... even old bios!!!!!

I check the net, many people have this problem!!!!!

PLEASE solution or some info, give me something!!!!! or I go legal. (and never buy hp again)

PD: I am IT consultant with 15+ years experience.
jorgus
Advisor

Yeah, that really sucks. And HP obviously does not give a toss... I even tried the latest VMWare ESX 3i hoping to run Windows 2008 as a virtual machine. Somehow I struggled my way through ESX 3i install. There is lots of references on the internet to people having problems with it on ML1**. Unfortunately the best I could get from it was a PSOD (pink screen of death) right after it booted.

I have just installed SBS 2003, because Windows 2008 was really unusable with 4 hangs a day. I'll post you an update whether it actually works stably or this server model is just f*&ed up all the way through.
DHRF

PLEASE I NEED HELP!!!!

a BETA BIOS, something!!!!!

I have no option to comment this case with as many IT people as I can find.

HP support say that none issue of this type have been reported, apparently we do not exist........
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hello guys

any update on this
since I know ML150 G5 shared System Board with Dl180 G5 we are having the same issue

any System ROM update or workaround since System Board and Proc replacement don't fix this issue

regards
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

now that I remember

any of you have replaced any other part like Memories, power component o riser cage?

regards
jorgus
Advisor

I promised an update so here it is. My customer's ML150 G5 has not hung since downgrading it to SBS 2003. Same hardware that crashed several times a day under Windows 2008.

I gave up my struggle with Windows 2008 I'm afraid...
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

well thanks

but you were able to downgrade to W2003 but that's not an option for most people here