ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752563 Members
4536 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows 2008, Server Hang

Gerald.Chow

I also found the LSI Card is very unstable with my SBS 2008. I have tried all firmwares, including both HP and LSI drivers to date (12 Dec). It install Windows fine but crash eventually with or without RAID1: formatting any partition guarantee a halt immediately; intensive IO will also cause a crash, e.g. copy of large files or backup.

I end up pulling the card, sata board and connect the disks directly to the motherboard. Performance is poor but at least it's working

I am considering getting an Adaptec or the SmartArray card, has anyone tried other controllers?

(HP has really disappoint this time!)
kokler

We changed the hardware to E200 /w BBWC too and it's working now well. We're waiting the answer of the HP support, because we bought this configuration as Windows Server 2008 x64 compatible stuff...
Daniel Borrowman

I think I'll be asking for a E200 then...

Do you know if the active LSI raid array would reactivate if I simply change the RAID card over?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Do you know if the active LSI raid array would reactivate if I simply change the RAID card over?

no Daniel

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Daniel Borrowman

Ghosting the server drives off and then back onto a rebuilt array should work though right?

Also, will the raid drive SATA caddy cables plug straight into the E200 card?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Ghosting the server drives off and then back onto a rebuilt array should work though right?

yes that should work

parts information

Smart Array E200 Controller
Controller 411508-B21

HP Internal SAS/SATA 4-Port Cable
457692-B21

NOTE: This cable is required when adding either the HP SC44Ge HBA (P/N 416096-B21) or the HP Smart Array E200 (P/N 411508-B21) on Non-Hot Plug SATA server models.

source
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12901_na/12901_na.html#Options
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
jensjk

the same problem on ML150G5 with SBS-Server 2008 and the LSI 1064E Controller.

help, help, is a solution with this controller in sight????

my thirst HP-Server ... and the last??? Unfortunately still not the last, I made a mistake. I have already ordered a second and comes tomorrow.

vg jens
Jan Jessen

I Have the same problem installing Server 2008 SBS. But only SBS editions.

I have tried everything but nothing seems to help. Red "Health LED" blinking and server becomes unresponsive.

Even when installing the SBS server as a virtual server within Hyper-V the same thing happens. VERY wierd.

I am gonna contact HP support tomorrow, as I still have Warranty on my server!
Daniel Borrowman

Here is what I did to solve the problem.

This is for SBS 2008 x64.

I demanded a E200 /w 128mb card for my client. Installed that in parallel with the Original RAID card, booted windows and let it install the card.

Once installed i shut the server down and removed the old card and swapped the cable to the new card.

The new card recognized the HDD's had a raid configuration set up on it and I pressed F7 for the card to accept the config from the HDD's.

Booted the machine and now it runs fine.
jorgus
Advisor

Congratulations! If I had known earlier that it would solve the problem, I would have demanded E200 as well, instead of downgrading the system to Win2K3. Now it's done and dusted, I can't be bothered to touch it :-D