cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows NT boot off a partition > 4GB

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Windows NT boot off a partition > 4GB

Any ideas on how to get SmartStart 4.90 to let you install NT to a partition > 4GB?

So far the option of formatting the partition (after creating a logical volume with a 63 bit/sector in Array utility) from another NT install to 7.8GB, and then doing a manual install to the 7.8GB partition works until NT setup reboots the machine to complete the installation. After this, "cannot find operating system" message is presented.

P.S. I had to F6 the installation before setup performs it's "automatic hardware detection" and load the array driver.
1 REPLY
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Windows NT boot off a partition > 4GB

You can not do it by an "assisted" install. It has to be a "manual" install (i.e. using NTFS with the OS install in charge).

The "cannot find OS" type message may have NOTHING to do with the size of the partition, but rather is likely to be the drivers. Make sure you are using the right drivers for the card you are to boot from.

(I think you've done this part right - but...) You have to make sure you skip detection on the mass storage controllers after starting custom setup. If you just let it detect and then define the controller, it will have the configuration wrong (ATAPI will be first).