Re: Windows Server 2000 and SP4

Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Paul,
Here I just did cut n paste for you :)

CUSTOMER NOTICE

CN0252W REVISION: 0

Windows ``Remote Registry`` Service Must Be Running In Windows 2000 And Windows Server 2003 When Installing The ProLiant Support Pack

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RELEASE DATE:
November 2003

DESCRIPTION
When installing the ProLiant Support Pack for Microsoft Windows 2000 or the ProLiant Support Pack for Microsoft Windows Server 2003, ensure that the Windows "Remote Registry" Service is running. The Remote Registry Service enables the ProLiant Support Pack to update drivers and utilities and updates are unable to be performed if the service is stopped or disabled.
DETAILS
If the Remote Registry Service is stopped or disabled and the SETUP.EXE program for the ProLiant Support Pack is executed, the application will open and after approximately 45 seconds, the following pop-up message will be displayed:

A connection could not be made to "ServerName":
Details:
"Access to the target computer was denied. Possibly due to incorrect authentication information or permissions."

If desired, the Remote Registry Service can be disabled or set to "Manual Start" after the installation of the Support Pack completes.

NOTICE: The information in this document, including products and software versions, is current as of the Release Date. This document is subject to change without notice.

©Copyright 2003, 2004 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
Hewlett-Packard Company shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein. The information provided is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. To the extent permitted by law, neither HP or its affiliates, subcontractors or suppliers will be liable for incidental, special or consequential damages including downtime cost; lost profits; damages relating to the procurement of substitute products or services; or damages for loss of data, or software restoration. The information in this document is subject to change without notice. Hewlett-Packard Company and the names of Hewlett-Packard products referenced herein are trademarks of Hewlett-Packard Company in the United States and other countries. Other product and company names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Paul_358
Occasional Advisor

Thanks...

I will try do it at work tomorrow ;-)
Paul_358
Occasional Advisor

Man.. I wanna scream..

I installed the Compaq Service Pack for the ML530
I took the ram down to under 1gb abd it Blue screened by the login

I moved the network cards around and it Blue screened

I uninstalled the network cards and Installed a SMC card and it blue screened.

i have installed the network cards from the latest drivers from HP

I can boot to safe mode, and when I disable the cards the server boots to normal mode fine and is stable..

as soon as I activate one of the cards in NORMAL mode the server will blue screen between 5 min or on the reboot.

there are no viruses or other things on the PC as the antivitus is working fine

what about the bios ? or would this not affect it ?
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Paul,
I am sorry for the problems you are having. Surely do update the BIOS if it's not done already. If by using the third party NIC did not help then it's not the HW. You have tried moving the card in different slots that did not help you either. Have you contacted MS at all about this?? The only other thing I can think of would be to replace the system board but not sure if that's going to help you. In any case if I do hear something about it I shall let you know.

Regards,
Paul_358
Occasional Advisor

If I reinstalled windows by doing a "upgrade" would all my settings remain the same ?
Ie DHCP, DNS, Domain name, Zones etc etc...

there is a second DC with the AD on
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Paul,
The upgrade is suppose to keep all the previous settings but I would suggest you to be double sure by calling MS for this.

Regards,
Paul_358
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Sunil

I did phone Microsoft when this first happened and they wanted £185 plus tax before they would talk to me LOL :-)

I will phone them tomorrow and hhave an expensive chat with them...

and I'll keep you informed to what the result is .
bill burles
Occasional Advisor

did you have any joy with this have exactely the same prob with ml530