ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752759 Members
5119 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Windows server 2008 setup failure

Mark Nishimura

Windows server 2008 setup failure

Hardware = ML 310 G5p, BIOS = W08 07/12/2009 RAID controller = Smart Array B110i SATA RAID in Embedded Slot firmware version 5.0-0 B2235.
Smart Start CD used so far = 8.25, 8.30, 8.40, 8.50.
Windows volume license Server 2008 R2 X64 used.

I activated the RAID controller in BIOS and created a RAID 1 (mirror) set with two hot-swap 250 GB SATA drives.

When using Smart-Start CD version 8.40 and 8.50 I get a HPSSBEM.EXE error in a DOS box and Windows never loads. When I disable the RAID controller in BIOS I can succesffully load Windows on this hardware. Using Smart-Start 8.30 I can successfully load Windows server 2008 R2 X64 with RAID controller enabled and RAID 1 mirror set. Problem is after the Windows server install the server is in a continuous reboot cycle and will not boot into Windows server. Using Smart-Start 8.25 I cannot proceed at all as it claims the RAID controller is not supported.

I need to load Windows server R2 X64 onthis server with the hardware in a RAID 1 configuration.

Any suggestions?
2 REPLIES 2
Mark Nishimura

Re: Windows server 2008 setup failure

Okay I found a solution to this problem. Setup 1 don't use any version of Smart-Start DVD. Boot to Windows server 2008 X64 DVD and start setup. When it tells you there are no drives to install on download the Proliant ML310 G5p RAID controller driver CP13131.EXE. Instead of installing this file choose to extract it. Burn the extracted files to DVD. this will load an Adaptec RAID controller. You will now be able to see your logical drive. Delete this volume and create a new volume. Eject the RAID controller driver CD and instert the Windows server 2008 X64 DVD or you will generate an error 0x80300001 that tells you it can't install to that volume. This problem seems to have stumped HP support and the forums. But i can guaranty you that this solution works 100% successful.
Mark Nishimura

Re: Windows server 2008 setup failure

You find find in my last posting that I have developed a solution to this problem that works flawlessly. I think you will find it also works for several of the other threads related to the HPPSSBEM.EXE erro when installing Windows 2008 server X64 version of serveral models of Proliant servers.