3730 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Write Back Cache Battery for ML150 Gen9 + Smart Array P440

Hugo-Caye
Frequent Visitor

Write Back Cache Battery for ML150 Gen9 + Smart Array P440

Hi there,

ML150 Gen9, Smart Array P440, cache battery model # 727258-B21 and the following POST error messages:

313-HPE Smart Storage Battery 1 Failure - Battery Shutdown Event Code: 0x0400

1797 Write Back Cache Backup Previously Falied. Caching is disabled. Action: Replace the Cache Module

We updated the firmware, BIOS, iLO, P440 firmware with "P19089_001_spp-2019.03.1-SPP2019031.2019_0425.6.iso" with no luck. Also tried to "re-enable cache module" using the array configuration utility that returned with a "operation failed, unknown error occurred".

Then we ordered new "Model: 727258-B21 (iLO) / 727260-002 (tag); Spare: 815983-001" battery.

Battery replacement did not solve the issue and our server is very slow.

Are the P440 controller and this battery compatible with out ML150 Gen9 server? Or should we order a new battery version, replace the controller, or may be the whole server?

Thanks in advance,

Hugo

8 REPLIES 8
Bunsol
HPE Pro

Hi Hugo,

As you have mentioned that the firmware are updated and you still get these errors and this looks like a possible failure of the cache and battery. We request you to log a case with HPE for replacement of the parts

Regards,

Bunsol

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!
I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Hugo-Caye
Frequent Visitor

Hi Bunsol,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

We already tried with three different brand new original HP part numbers batteries. It seems an incompatibility issue, our batteries have firmware version 1.1. We ordered the P440 kit with tha cable, battery, etc.

Do you know if the batteries "Model: 727258-B21 (iLO) / 727260-002 (tag); Spare: 815983-001" are compatible with our setup (ml150 gen9 + p440)?

Regards,

Hugo

Bunsol
HPE Pro

Hi Hugo,

The part 727258-B21 is compatible with the ML150 Gen9 server. Please check the below link for option parts for this server:-

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04519132

If issue still persists with this part as well then you will have to raise a support ticket with us to have this looked at.

Regards,

Bunsol.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!
I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Hugo-Caye
Frequent Visitor

Hi there,

In summary:

1. We have now three batteries, one that came with the P440 Smart Array Controller kit, and two spares that we ordered some weeks ago when the original battery module failed. These as all HP manufactured and sealed parts;

2. The original battery was manufactured in year 2016 and the spare ones in 2015;

3. I grabbed a voltmeter and detected that all the six lithium-ion batteries that are inside the three modules pack have zero volt, and measuring their impedance they were "opened" (discharged they should have low impedance, almost a short circuit);

4. Looking at the batteries I noted that they have CID (current interrupt device - https://lygte-info.dk/info/battery%20protection%20UK.html). Then I disabled it in the batteries of one module, the voltage went to ~2,5 VDC, indicating that the batteries are not all bad;

5. I installed temporarily the "repaired" battery pack on the server and fired the server up. iLO now says that the smart storage battery is OK. Smart Storage Administrator still shows the controller cache as "Permanently Disabled" and with status "Recharging".

Seems that's time to order a new battery module, I will try Smart Storage Battery v.2 that probably are newer parts, and not manufactured almost five years ago (https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00040078en_us&docLocale=en_US).

Will let yo know what happens.

Regards,

Hugo

Hugo-Caye
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Battery module replaced, server powered on for three days, batteries are fully charged, iLO show battery as OK.

Smart Array P440 cache memory still disabled:

[root@ESX:~] /opt/smartstorageadmin/ssacli/bin/ssacli ctrl slot=6 show detail

- Cache Status: Permanently Disabled
- Cache Status Details: Cache disabled; backup to flash memory failed
- Cache Disable Reason: Permanent disable condition. The posted write cache has been disabled because the backup operation failed in a flash-backed write cache module.

What else should we do to finally enable the P440 cache? Some HPE articles suggest replacing the cache memory module, I think it does not make sense. Replace a memory module, difficult to be ordered, only because the battery was replaced?

Please advice.

Tks,

Hugo

opoplawski
Occasional Advisor

I'm struggling with similar issues with a P840ar in a DL380 Gen 9.  Any other progress made?

robatseiuscom
Occasional Collector

Hi Hugo,

I know this is an old post, but I'm having the same issues with a P440 Smart Array Controller.  Found your troubleshooting and link to liIon batteries interesting.  I checked the voltage on my batteries and they are at about 3V each.  So I do not think it is a battery issue.

ALL / HP,

My DL360 Gen9 (System ROM P89 v2.72), iLO 270, with a Smart Array P440ar Controller (Firmware 7.00) is giving the 313-HPE Smart Storage Battery 1 Failure - Battery Shutdown Event Code: 0x0400.  I've replaced the Cache Battery and still receive the same message after charging for > 6hrs.

After reviewing many other posts from people with this EXACT same issue and receiving the same general 'make sure firmware is updated and installing new battery' from HP, it seems HP has a known defect they do not want to acknowledge or fix!

Has anyone found a fix for this?

It is discouraging, there was a time when HP had high-quality products, services, and customer service.  I've been using HP at this site from HP3000, HP9000, and currently a number of Proliant servers.  There was a time when I was gone and they purchased Dell.  After I came back had all kinds of hardware and customer support problems.  Will never purchase Dell again!

I wish I know where to go to get this fixed, without purchasing a replacement server.  There are plans to purchase new servers and keep this for dev/test.  However a little hesitant and wondering if HP has lost its high-quality edge.

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @robatseiuscom

Thank you for posting! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you to create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button.

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo