ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752707 Members
5799 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: XP Pro on ProLiant 1600, insits it has USB.

Gregg Eshelman
Frequent Advisor

XP Pro on ProLiant 1600, insits it has USB.

I got a pair of ProLiant 1600R 6/400, both upgraded to dual PII 450Mhz, for FREE. :)

They both have their drive racks filled with Compaq 9.1GB drives, 32x CD-ROM and floppy.

I hooked up a Seagate 20gb IDE drive in one to install XP Pro (slipstreamed to SP2) on and the install went smoothly off the CD-R.

For some reason Device Manager is insisting the computer has USB but always puts the yellow (!) on it.

If I run the floppies to install the F10 utilities partition, will that enable me to do something to disable the unused USB function of the intel chipset or is that "error" something I have to put up with?

I've seen this with XP on other systems using Intel chipsets with built in USB that's not being used. Usually the board maker released BIOS updates to stop Windows from detecting it.

Will installing the F10 utilities partition nuke my Windows install? (It's on the IDE drive E:, not the SCSI array C:)

Other hardware I've plugged in, Creative Labs Soundblaster Live! soundcard, NEC USB 2.0 card (working fine), VIA Firewire card and an S3 Virge DX 3D Decellerator. ;) (Since the onboard video is limited to 800x600 16bit!)
3 REPLIES 3
TY 007
Honored Contributor

Hello Gregg,

Clear data that may be stored by the Battery-Backed Write Cache (BBWC):
- Power off the server
- Unplug the server
- Remove the BBWC
- Disconnect the batteries and wait for 60 to 90 seconds

Thanks
TY 007
Honored Contributor

Hello Gregg,

Clear data that may be stored by the NVRAM:
- Power off the server
- Unplug the server
- Remove the server battery
- Short the battery socket terminals together to clear NVRAM
- Run RBSU again to ensure that the data no longer remains
- Reconfigure the system as needed

Thanks
Gregg E.
Occasional Contributor

Is the BBWC the daughterboard on the Array Controller?