ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753354 Members
4909 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: XP on ProLiant ML350 G5 w/E200i

E Rog

XP on ProLiant ML350 G5 w/E200i

I understand XP is not officially supported or certified and I appologize for pressing this issue. However, I've searched and read through many threads here on the XP issue that confidently say "no problem it works". I have slipstreamed RAID drivers before, so that is the technique I plan to use.

Has anybody had success on XP with the E200i SAS/SATA Array Controller in the ML350? How about the NC373i network driver?

For the G5, most drivers seem to target 2000 or 2003 rather than having one driver for either like past models. Is 2003 likely to be a better match with XP?

Will there be key features missing in terms of responding to raid array faults & rebuilding? One fellow mentioned using Smart Start and choosing OTHER for the OS. Is this the way to go in order to get special features installed?

Any guidance is most appreciated...
1 REPLY 1
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Re: XP on ProLiant ML350 G5 w/E200i

Hello E Rog,

1.Has anybody had success on XP with the E200i SAS/SATA Array Controller in the ML350? How about the NC373i network driver?

I think E200 should work,not tested the NC373i.

2.For the G5,most drivers seem to target 2000 or 2003 rather than having one driver for either like past models. Is 2003 likely to be a better match with XP?

I suppose 2000 is a better bet.

3.Will there be key features missing in terms of responding to raid array faults & rebuilding? One fellow mentioned using Smart Start and choosing OTHER for the OS. Is this the way to go in order to get special features installed?

Not officially supported means its not tested.
Chances are that the HP tools may work or may not.Most of the cases it does'nt since the tool will say its not the correct OS.
If the tools are not installed,then you may miss the key reporting features like fault alerts.In such cases you may only do a data collection via SNMP.
If you are planning to implement hardware raid,then you can use the latest SSCD,it will load the E200 drivers which does'nt require a slipstreamed Xp Cd.
Alternately you can configure array via ORCA,however this will ask for raid drivers while installation.

SRH