New Discussion юеВ

Xenserver on HP servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
myg_1
Advisor

Xenserver on HP servers

Hello!

1. What is the best way - to use Xenserver select edition from HP or to use Xenserver from Citrix site?

2. I know that HP edition can be installed in on SD card of HP servers (i.e. HP DL380 g6). Can Citrix Xenserver edition be installed on internal HP SD card?

2. Is HP Select edition Xenserver free or eval?

Thank you!
8 REPLIES 8
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: Xenserver on HP servers

hi,

i would recommend to use XenServer from Citrix instead of HP customized XenServer for HP proliant servers.

mikap
myg_1
Advisor

Why?
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Hi,

I hope this link will help you.

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPXS

You can download a free version. :))

This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Regards.
Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor
Solution

Why,

because if the Citrix make a update, and publish then, you are able to download and update your server, but if you have HP cuxtomized citrx xen server you need to wait until HP make all changes, and publish it.

So if there is some critical BUG, its better to have XENsderver from citrix.

This is my personal opinion.

mikap
myg_1
Advisor

Hi, Erdogan!

Thank you, I have seen already this link before - this is the first that Google answers for "hp xenserver select edition".

In our country I have found some sites that sell HP Xenserver SE, I think may be they were posted before Xenserver became free....

So, why I should prefer Xenserver from Citrix rather then from HP?

myg_1
Advisor

Thank you Michal for useful info.

But how about HP hardware support?

We want to obtain HP 82Q FC HBA for DL380 G6.
In HCL for xenserver we see

http://hcl.xensource.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductType=HBA&ProductName=StorageWorks+82Q+PCIe+Dual+Port+Fibre+Channel+Host+Bus+Adapter

that this adapter is supported on Xenserver HP edition and Xenserver Retail Edition. What is a Retail edition? Is this another name of Free Xenserver from Citrix?

Thank you!
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

i would recommend to use citrix xenserver directly from citrix, and if you find that this version doesn't support your HBA, you could alternally use the HP customized xen server,
but what i saw on the citrix forum lot of people using the HP servers without any problem.

mikap

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello, generally the main advantage of using HP Xen is you have all HP SIM agents installed. It is very helpefull for administration/monitoring.

Jan