1752577 Members
4872 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

add a new disk and create raid 1 on BL20p G3

Gabriel Madoz
Frequent Advisor

add a new disk and create raid 1 on BL20p G3

Hello, a question, I have a BL20p G3 with only one disk and a propietary operating system.
Now the customer want to add a new disk and so, create a Raid 1 with both, what tool must I use?

1)Could be on starting server press I think F8 and enter the SmartArray 640 setup screen and there configure Raid 1, I don't remember well this option

2)Connect for instance a notebook to the Blade and map the virtual cdrom on it with a booteable smartstart and there use ACU.

Any idea would be welcome

The only thing I'm afraid is that the new Raid 1 would not delete existing data on the actual disk

Thanks in advance
Gabriel Madoz
6 REPLIES 6
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: add a new disk and create raid 1 on BL20p G3

with information that you provided:
... proprietary operating system ......

Step #2 would be recommended with latest ACU

However make sure you have Backup, who knows how that will affect to "proprietary operating system" ;o)

Gabriel Madoz
Frequent Advisor

By pressing F8 the only options I have are: create a new logical drive, edit this and delete by modifying existing Raid 0 and convert it to Raid 1 is not possible, I couldn't see the second disk

It seems that is possible only convert a Raid 1 to 5 and expand a Raid 5.

What is your opinion?

Regards
Gabriel Madoz
Gabriel Madoz
Frequent Advisor

Now I'm trying to boot from a virtual cd-rom configured locally with ILO where is smartstart cd but is not possible, why????\

On Standard Boot Order I have IPL1 as CD-ROM but it does not work....

Urgent!!!!!, has anyone an idea if I have to configure other thing?

Thanks in advance
Gabriel Madoz
Gabriel Madoz
Frequent Advisor

Now I understand!!!!!!!!!, you cannot connect directly to blade server in the same time that your are accessing by ILO web

If you do this, the system cannot offer you the possibility to attempt boot from cd-rom (virtual locally)

Regards
Gabriel Madoz
Gabriel Madoz
Frequent Advisor

I have seen on ACU the logical drive created with one disk (RAID 0) with data on it and the added disk as 36.4 disk empty

Till there all ok, but when I try to migrate the Raid I have no option to migrate this to Raid 1

I have to know if only I can make a Raid 1 with empty disks or there is a possibility??

I follow the express configuration wizard and the only thing I could do is create another Raid 0 so now I'm waiting for this to finish to delete this new logical drive and come back to the last state

Please, does anyone know how to continue??
Gabriel Madoz
Gabriel Madoz
Frequent Advisor

I was contacting HP Support and they told me that the Smart Array 6i controller on embedded slot does not have the capability to migrate a Raid 0 to 1 due to a limited feature in its cache.

So, the only way to continue is take 2 empty disks and create a Raid 1 and recover a backup. Otherwise reinstall all....

Gabriel Madoz