3259 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: addding (2) 9.1Gb hard drives to a 1600

SOLVED
Go to solution
Travis Thompson

addding (2) 9.1Gb hard drives to a 1600

I need to add 2 9.1 GB hard drives to our proliant 1600 6/450 server. they are "hot swap" style hard drives which seems simple enough. Currently it has two 4.3 GB hard drives and needless to say, space is nearly gone. The server is set up with Novell Netware 5. I have never had to do anything like this before so my knowledge is somewhat limited. I am essentially looking for a walk-through for adding and correctly configuring (if necessary)SCSI hard drives to a proliant 1600. Thank you in advance.
when in doubt find a forum
5 REPLIES 5
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Travis:

First of all, you have to make sure your new hard drives have the same connector on the back as the old ones - there are two possible drive cage options with the PL1600.

I'm guessing your 4.3GB drives are Wide-Ultra Scsi3; if your new drives are Wide-Ultra2 or Wide-Ultra3, they will not fit in the cage.

Basically, if the new drives look the same as the old ones you're okay. WU drives are beige with two purple hot-plug tabs in the middle. WU2 and WU3 drives are thin, black and have one hot plug lever with a purple tab at the end.

Next, adding the new drives all depends on what controller the drive cage is attached to. Which one are you using? If you are using an array controller, are you using RAID1 on the two existing drives?

That information will help in determining your next steps.

Janine Bertolo
HP Support Services
ProLiant/Novell

To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Travis Thompson

Hello, and thank you for the post. I am certain that these are the right drives to use. Also, how do I find out the what controller I am using and what RAID I am using? Also, if I install the new hard drives and then run the system configuration utility, will it erase everything that is on the drives now?
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Hi;

The driver you are using for the controller is a good clue as to which one you have.

CPQSCSI.HAM is used for non-array scsi controllers standard with the PL1600.

If you have an optional array controller, it will use CPQARRAY.HAM or CPQRAID.HAM. The CPQONLIN.NLM utility if installed will tell you what controller you have and what RAID configuration you are using.

System Configuration Utility is no longer used for configuring arrays - you can use the Array Configuration Utility off a SmartStart cd, or the cpqonlin utility to view and configure an array.

If you have an array controller, you can run the cpqonlin utility from NetWare, add the two new drives as a second array in RAID1 with a logical drive on it.

Then you can create a NetWare partition on the new device and expand your existing volume or create a new one as you please.

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Travis Thompson

Hi Janine, thanks for your help.

When I run the cpqonlin.nlm and select 1. array config utility--could not find a compaq array driver check to make sure this driver is loaded. 2. advanced network control utility--no advanced network features configured.

Where do I go from here? Also, is there any useful information in the "storage devices" selection in monitor.nlm?

Travis
1-800-542-6998 ext 607
could we talk on the phone possibly?
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Hi Travis;

Sounds like you don't have an array controller.

In that case, add the new drives, reboot to allow the controller to initialize the drives and then proceed with NetWare partition and volume options.

jb