Did you mean: 

adding RAID 5 to ML350 G3 with existing RAID 1

SOLVED
Go to solution
poof
Occasional Visitor

adding RAID 5 to ML350 G3 with existing RAID 1

Hi!

I have a ProLiant ML350 G3 with a SmartArray 641 SCSI RAID controller. the server currently has two 72.8GB hot-swappable SCSI drives in a RAID 1 configuration. i have 5 spare 72.8GB hot-swappable SCSI drives from a previous upgrade on another ML350. i would like to add three or four of these drives to this server as RAID 5, in addition to the RAID 1 currently in there. is this possible? how would i go about doing this. my goal is to maintain the RAID 1 for the Windows 2k3 OS and corporate AV software. i would like to use the RAID 5 array for file sharing. any help will be appreciated. thanks!
4 REPLIES
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: adding RAID 5 to ML350 G3 with existing RAID 1

hi

just insert the new HDDS, open array configuration utility and create a New RAID 5 and logical drive

that's it

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
poof
Occasional Visitor

Thanks! sounds easy enough! the drives that i will be adding to the new RAID 5 have data on them, as well as the OS from the previous use. Will the ACU automatically reformat the drives and wipe all the data off for me? will the drives cause a problem when i plug them in because they have an OS on them? Thanks!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

while OS is up and running insert the HDD
since HDD has data 2 things can happen

- HDD will appear as unassigned HDD
if so just follow normal procedure creating RAID (this is commonly the most usual situation)

- your new HDDs will appear with an existing RAID level (since RAID level is stored in HDD ) if this is your scenario you just delete the new RAID and HDD will appear after delete as unassigned .... and follow normal procedure to create new RAID

Array configuration utility manual
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=468780#0

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
poof
Occasional Visitor

Thank you, Karlo!!!