cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding a second processor on Proliant ML350 G2 fails

Mark McKinnon
Occasional Visitor

adding a second processor on Proliant ML350 G2 fails

I am trying to install a 2nd 1.4 GHz processor in a Proliant ML350 G2. When I install the second processor, the server won't boot and an amber light shows up on the motherboard, indicating a processor fault for CPU #1. I have verified the processor kit is correct. Indeed, the 1.4 GHz CPU has the same replacement # on it as the original. I have also swapped out the original CPU and regulator with the 2nd processor and regulator to see if the new CPU or regulator was bad, but it works fine when the server is configured with only 1 CPU. There does not appear to be any jumpers or BIOS settings to specifically enable a 2nd processor. Iv'e also updated to the latest BIOS revision.

Any ideas, or is this a bad motherboard?
3 REPLIES
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Re: adding a second processor on Proliant ML350 G2 fails

Hello Mark,

"Set Cpu corrected" option in RBSU is worth giving a try.

http://h41297.www4.hp.com/km/saw/view.do?docId=ucr_na-CYB236843_001.pdf-1
Pg 61 of 127.

SRH
Mark McKinnon
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the suggestion, but I could not even get into the BIOS - just have a black screen.

Anyhow, I have resolved the issue by clearing the BIOS configuration (switch #6) and then restarting the server. It still came up showing an error on processor #1 via the LED on the system board. After I did another cold boot this time however, it all came up good, detecting the second processor. I guess clearing the BIOS did the trick.

Thanks again.

Mark
Mark McKinnon
Occasional Visitor

Clearing the BIOS (switch #6) and then cold booting twice fixed the problem.