108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

adding storage to RAID array??

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

adding storage to RAID array??

I'm inquiring to confirm that if I add storage to our DL380 G5 RAID array, it's a destructive process, so I'd have to first back up the array's files etc. etc.??

Or is there a way to add the storage non-destructively??

The controller is a Smart Array P400 Controller with 512MB cache w BBWC (RAID 0,1,1+0,5,6).

The server currently has two 36 GB drives in RAID 1, and four 146 GB drives in RAID 5.

Thank you, Tom
8 REPLIES 8
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: adding storage to RAID array??

hi Tom

yes you can do it

It is complete on the fly process no downtime needed and of course it not a destructive procedure

check manual in order to create a new raid - logical drive

Configuring Arrays on HP Smart Array Controllers Reference Guide

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=468780#0

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

Thank you for this information, it is very helpful!!

I imagine that if I changed the array to RAID 6 (six), it would be a destructive process because this would change everything about how the array is set up?? (As well as use up another disk.)

Thank you, Tom
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

To clarify, I'm not looking to create a new RAID array, but to increase the one I already have. I've downloaded all the manuals, etc.

Thank you, Tom
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Tom,

no it won't be destructive, that's why for online RAID level migration you need the battery backed write cache, with which help, you can re-arrange the data blocks and parity info. Although, it is always recommended to make a backup, but it will not corrupt your data.

regards
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

It is likely that I will leave it as RAID 5 with one online spare. If a drive goes bad I can have a new one overnighted from CDW. The server is only about a year old so it should hold up pretty well.

I wouldn't mind using RAID 6 but I do not know well enough how much it would affect performance, as this is an ESX Server host, right now just 3 VMs but it will have more VMs later.

Thank you, Tom
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

RAID 6 has worse read and write performance than RAID 5, it is used in situations when there are more than 8 drives in an array , or there is very critical data(very big faut tolerance)

Check the followuing document, it discusses performance of different RAID levels and explains ads and cons of RAID 6(page 8&9) :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00386950/c00386950.pdf

In your situation I think RAID 5 is the better decision, you wil lose the space of 2 HDDs from 4 with R6...

Pac
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

I'm returning to this thread...

I can't find anything in the above-mentioned documentation that tells me how to use the RBSU/ACU from the F9 key to add another drive to the array as storage OR to add another drive to the array as the hot spare...

This is an ESX server, am I nevertheless required to use a SmartStart CD??

This array already HAS data on it...so I need to be SURE it's either destructive or non-destructive to add storage or hot spares, and act accordingly...

Thank you, tom
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

using F9 option (ORCA on POST) you won't have Extend option since is not available in there you can only create array, delete, add hot spare but not extend RAIDs or other activities in that case you will have to use Smartstart

I don't know if there is such documentation (maybe some time searching I will find such document) but because I've done it I know it is not destructive activity

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!