Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding used drives in older array controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Korenstra
Occasional Visitor

adding used drives in older array controller

I have a Compaq Proliant 3000 server with a 3200 RAID controller. Back when it was installed as a Novell Server in 2000 we configured it with 5 drives as a RAID 5. Works great. Now I have procured 5 correct drives(used)that I would like to double my space and create another array with. The issue is that the drives have been used with a newer version 2.70 of the drive array utility and cannot be reconfigured with my version as it is older. I have tested the drives in a server that was new this year and they work great. I have found the 2.70 and newer drive array utilities on the web site but they all say that then need Windows OS! Kind of hard to have on a operational Novell box...Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?
Thanks much,
Bill
4 REPLIES
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: adding used drives in older array controller

first I have to ask, What is a "Correct drive"? Sounds as if they are not "correct".
why are you using used drives? Why would you use used drives? You want to depend on them for data? How do you know what there useful life will be?

Anyway, why could you not "reconfigure" them? What does that mean? Do they still have RAID information writen to them? Clear the drives if so.

But new, used is exactly that. They have only a useful life and do not live for ever.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Bill,

Is this what you are looking for (V2.70B for Netware).....

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18751.html

Regards,

Brian
Bill Korenstra
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the replies.
Correct drives was a simple way of saying correct Compaq spare part numbered drives. Used drives is a matter of financial needs. If money was not an issue a new server would take care of these problems for the next four years. I agree that drive failure is not a matter if but when. Raid 5 configuration, and tape backup are being used. I cannot reconfigure as the drive array utility software will not allow the drives to be cleared. The software recognizes that I am attempting to use an older version to overwrite a newer versions configuration on these drives.
This brings me to Brians suggestion. I have downloaded the utility and will attempt this solution. This is exactly what I was looking for so I sure hope it works. I will report in the next few days.
Thanks again,
bill
Bill Korenstra
Occasional Visitor

Follow-up,
The files recommended by Brian worked great.
Thanks,
Bill