4922 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: array controller replacement

Amir_25
Advisor

array controller replacement

Wish everybody is doing Okay,

I have HP array controller 5300, 72*2 GB + RAID 1, Win2K, the current Array is failed, My Server ML370 can not dedicate it any more, I tried to change the slots but it didnтАЩt work. My question is can i replace it with a different Array family? Such as 6xyz model,

Do I need to load the drive for the new one? Is that will require to fresh / reinstall of O/S, I donтАЩt want to lose the Data

Thanx in Advance
7 REPLIES 7
Michael Richter
Trusted Contributor

amir,

sure its possible to use a controller from the six'er series!

the driver are hte same one
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/24794.html

but may u should check first if your SA5300 is function or not
(use Smart Start / Orca / ACU to check )

Cheers
Mike
Amir_25
Advisor

Mike thanx for your fast reply,
i got the following when u run the SmartStart

Warning,

Smart Start has detected that your system is not properly configured

Problem ├в The primary Controller configured in your system does not have drive attached

Solution - Validate your setup is correct and that the correct controller are set to primary ├в adjust boot order press F9 during the boot.

Problem ├в The Array controller, configured as primary does not have logical drives defined

Solution ├в verify by running ACU-XE F8 ├в during the boot

I am not able to see F8 during the booting; I used F9 and check the boot order but can├в t see anything other than CD-Rom, Floppy and Network boot...

I want to change the array since the drives are same, I am just worried not to lose Data since I have no backup of the system...

best regards
Amir
Amir_25
Advisor

Ok,

Installed the new array it work fine but Win2K is not able to boot end up with blue screen Stop Error 0x0000007B (Inaccessible boot device) ...I have already checked so many MS articles but nothing seems to work

any idea?

thanx
Michael Richter
Trusted Contributor

seems that the os can't access the systempartition during boot.
try chkdsk /f/r (for NTFS) or try the repair console from Win-CD. another possebility is 'fixmbr' and 'fixboot'.

i hope it workx

cheers
Mike

Amir_25
Advisor

Mike :)

i can't use Fixboot..it is not accepting administrator password and this is correct behavior because windows didn├в t recognize the new array..i even used F6 to load the drive from floppy Windows Setup can detected existing Windows and continued with the repair installation but its losing the drive once it reboot and end up with a nice blue screen

is there any Special instruction on how to load the drive ?

thanx
Amir_25
Advisor

Guys,

do you think i need to upgrade ROM version to 2.62 A 23 Mar 05 or 2.66..??

thanx
Amir_25
Advisor

I upgraded ROM to the latest V. 2.62 A 23 Mar 05, Then again I went through F6 to and repaired Windows but Unfortunately still didn├в t work├в ┬ж.

please help ...