1748122 Members
3334 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: array controller reports imminent failure

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

array controller reports imminent failure

Compaq integrated array controller reports imminent failure of one of the 18.2 gig 10K Ultra3-SCSI drives. This message is still displayed after upgrading the ROM on controller to latest level but diags do not show any problem on this newly installed brand new server??? Should the drive be replaced or is this a false message - any help would be appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I built a new 370 today with 4 10k 18.2 BB drives hanging off a Integrated Smart Array controller . I'm getting the same error that you are, but on two of the drives. I really doubt this especially since all the other digs say every thing is good. I'm going to look for a drive firm ware upgrade tomorrow.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks jerrygeer, have been searching for same update but cannot find. Please let me know if you find it.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

If any of you can provide a drive model and firmware revision, we can check on available upgrades. Reply here or at support@compaq.com
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Drive Model BD0186398C
Firmware Version BC1P
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I just noticed the problem with a New 1GHz 370 with a MSart 5300 Aray Controller and it detects 2 drives in the internal drive cage asimminent failure. The Server actually shutdown and would not restart until I did a hard power off and on. The config specs are below...

Proliant ML370 Dual 1GHz PIII with 256MB Ram System ROM 9/27/2000
2 x 9.1GB 10K Ultra3 Drives Firmware Rev 3B07 & BDC4
10 x 36.4GB 10K Ultra3 Drives Firmware Rev 3B06
Smart 5300/64 Firmware Rev 1.28
OS Netware 5.1

This is the only server, of 3 I setup, which is having this problem. This is a unique config just for our lab so we can test possible solutions.

Brett
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi, Is a firm ware upgrade planned for this problem? Firm ware 4.08a doesn't mention anything about resolving this issue and so I am wondering when an update is due?
Many Thanks. Simony
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have a problem like this, an ML370 three disks, no smart array controller, the disk ID 1 and ID 2 always fail after one day working, previous many "inminet failure" messages. ID 0 never fail, and it is totally different compaq disk, model, Part Number, and even power compsumption is different for disk in ID 0, extrange, the tray says the same for all three disks: 9.1GB Ultra3 SCSI 10K.