New Discussion юеВ

Re: automating disabling ASR?

SOLVED
Go to solution
davidc_2
Advisor

automating disabling ASR?

Hello,
My company uses several Proliant DL model servers... 320, 360, 380, 180, g1, g2, g3, g4, g5, g6, etc... quite a few different ones.

I'm trying to find out if there is a way to automate disabling the ASR feature as part of our deployment process for Windows servers..

I would need to be able to do it from a script.

1. I'm assuming there is no registry setting since this is an out-of-band from the OS kind of thing, yes/no?

2. is there a command line tool I could shell out to?

3. Could it be done via WMI?

any input would be appreciated, thanks.
26 REPLIES 26
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

in os if it is windows based ASR can be disabled

my comp .props .advanced .startup and recovery settings autorestart remove the tick

davidc_2
Advisor

Hi Mark1234, thanks for the reply.

my comp -> props -> advanced system settings -> start up and recovery 'settings' button -> in 'system failure' section, untick 'automatically restart'?

That's a hook into the HP ASR feature? I thought that was just part of Windows? Isn't HP ASR part of ILO stuff, operating outside of the installed operating system?

I just unticked it and re-ran the System Management Homepage and ASR is still enabled.

??
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

did you try restart the server then check the home page
davidc_2
Advisor

yes, I restarted. System Management Homepage still shows ASR as enabled. The setting you are referring to is there whether Windows is installed on HP hardware, Dell, anything, it's an operating system feature, what I'm referring to is an HP feature.

anyone know?
ab_server
Frequent Advisor

Have you already tried modified modifying (disabling ASR ) at your server BIOS ?
(At SERVER AVAILABILITY, ASR STATUS)
radek zima_1
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi, you can use SSST (smart start scripting toolkit), the correct XML file for disabling ASR (guess you mean the HP stuff: "Automatic Server Recovery", not the Windows stuff for restoring) is this:

Disabled

The utility that can be used to use this xml file is called "conrep", it exists either as Windows, DOS, or Linux binary ...

Radek
davidc_2
Advisor

re: BIOS: I need a way to automate this change so the BIOS route won't work. Also, I was under the impression that this setting is not necessarily accessible/changable from the BIOS in all models?

Radek Zima:
That sounds interested, I'm not familiar with SSST. Is this something that needs to be a part of the Proliant Support Pack installation, or can it be done after PSP installation? More info would be very much appreciated. As I said, I'm not familiar with SSST at all, but it sounds like I should be. Will this work for all server models or only some?
radek zima_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi David,

here is the product homepage with documentation:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/toolkit/index.html

It is not connected to PSP, it's a separate product, I'm using this with PXE and it works on all "real" ProLiant servers (ML300/DL300 and above) ... Radek
davidc_2
Advisor

Radek Zima,
thanks again for the reply. I was just reading up a bit on the SSST. I downloaded the win64 version and was looking into the sample files. I have a quick follow up question that if you know could save me a bunch of time.

I already have an established server deployment system (MDT 2010). I'm thinking I should be able to just use parts of the SSST to enhance my existing system by getting at those BIOS level settings. Using MDT I have the ability to launch any script I want from WinPE or the fully installed Windows OS, so I should be able to, for example, just set this HP ASR setting if I wanted, right? If so, could you let me know which parts I should look into to do this? I could use this ASR setting as my proof of concept to start integrating some of the SSST tools into my overall deployment system.

thanks again!