New Discussion юеВ

Re: automating disabling ASR?

SOLVED
Go to solution
davidc_2
Advisor

Radek Zima,
Hey, I just re-read your last post and I see you have already told me which specific part to use for ASR, awesome, thank you. So to wrap up I just need to know if I will be able to just do that one setting with SSST, without needing to use the whole SSST deployment process, since I am already using a different process.

thanks again.
radek zima_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi, yep, you can just start one batch containing single "conrep" command ... it should run without issues in WinPE (that's actually the procedure that HP is using in RDP product anyway)...Radek
davidc_2
Advisor

oops.. found my spelling mistake in the xml file. It runs now but I get errors

dpioctl 467156 last error was: 6
dpioctl 467152 last error was: 6
and so on...

had to ctrl-c to quit, then gave return code of 2, bad data file?

anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?
radek zima_1
Frequent Advisor

ad 1)
You can add the version, something like this:

Disabled

ad 2) no idea about your error messages, what box are you trying that on? from which version of Win PE?

davidc_2
Advisor

Hi, thanks for responding again, I appreciate it.

Actually I was running it from windows server 2008. I thought it was able to run from WinPE or the full installed Windows OS. No?

my test machine is a DL360 G4, currently has server 2008 R2 on it. I did not install Proliant Support Pack on this. I know you can't do everything with conrep without the health driver (IPMI driver), but as my first test I just tried to run the conrep command before installing the PSP.

my command was:
conrep -l -x c:\test.xml
radek zima_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi David, I just tried on one of my Windows 2008 with PSP and got the same issue ... I'm using it only from WinPE booted over PXE, I will try to look for solution, but not sure at the moment ... R.
davidc_2
Advisor

Hi Radek,
Ok, thanks for that, I won't bother installing PSP to see if it makes a difference then. I will actually be doing this from WinPE as my final solution, I was just trying to do a little playing with it in 2k8.

I'll try from WinPE now.
1. Do I only need the conrep.exe and the settings xml file?

2. I have both x86 and x64 versions of WinPE in use, do you know if I can just use the x86 version of conrep.exe for both? or do I need to get the seperate 32 and 64 bit versions for each respective WinPE version?

thanks again!.
radek zima_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi David,

1) you need also libxml2.dll

2) you should use 32-bit toolkit in 32-bit winpe and 64bit in 64bit ... guest 32bit will work even in 64bit, but as it's a bit of pain to put these to WinPE, I will put there both to stay save ...

3) you will also need hpsstkio.sys from hpDrivers directory (if you unpack toolkit distribution file) in \system32 (may this be the issue with dpioctl?) ... I'm afraid you should be carefull here with 32/64bit ...

Radek

davidc_2
Advisor

ahhh. Thanks very much Radek.

So I'm assuming I need to actually add the hpsstkio.sys driver file to my PE image and have it loaded before trying to run conrep? In other words, I can't just copy the file over the network into the PE windows\system32 directory and expect conrep to load it when it needs it? I use MDT and WAIK which pretty much takes care of adding drivers for me, so I have not had to manually mess with it at all. To do that though, I would need an accompanying inf file, which I don't see for hpsstkio.sys, I assume I can't just copy this file into system32 of my pe image offline, then boot and have it work, right? I would need to tell PE to actually load this driver somehow, right?

I think your right on my error being due to no hpsstkio.sys. I just ran it from PE by booting an existing PE image and just copying over conrep.exe... it gave me an error saying it needed libxml2.dll, as you also said, so I copied that file to the same directory as conrep.exe and tried again, this time, same error I was getting from 2008, dwIOCTL
davidc_2
Advisor

just found and read the readme file from the HPdrivers directory.. no inf for hpsstkio.sys, just says to copy to the system32 directory.

so if I only need to use conrep.exe should I be able to copy just conrep.exe, libxml2.dll, and hpsstkio.sys to the appropriate places in my PE image and use? No editing init files anywhere to actually load the hpsstkio.sys file?

I have to head home now, but I will try this in the morning. If I have to load the whole SSSTK PE package as detailed in that readme file that's what I will do, but considering I only need this for one setting, I'm trying to just do the simplest thing to accomplish just that. Thanks again for all your help, I do appreciate it.