108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: automating disabling ASR?

SOLVED
Go to solution
davidc_2
Advisor

ok, just tried this after first adding hpsstkio.sys to the system32 folder of my winPE image offline, so that it was present during boot. Same results. No go.

Can I do this with only conrep.exe, libxml2.dll, and hpsstkio.sys? If so how do I get hpsstkio.sys loaded? The only way I know to get drivers loaded in PE is if they have an inf file.
davidc_2
Advisor

... and another update:
hpsstkio.sys is resolved now I believe... I just put it in the wrong place, I put it in windows\system32 and it needs to be in windows\system32\drivers

now I get a return code of 2, bad data file? Here is my output:

conrep.exe -l -x:\testy.xml

Warning: conrep has detected that the Proliant Health Driver is not running.
On system that support iLo - full configuration is not possible without this driver being loaded.
conrep 3.00 - SmartStart Scripting Toolkit Configuration Replication Program
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

System type: Proliant DL360 G4
ROM Date: 7/16/2007
ROM Family: P52
Processor Manufacturer: Intel

XML System Configuration: x:\testy.xml
Hardware Configuration: conrep.dat

Unsupported tag text ignored

Loading Configuration from conrep.dat

Conrep return code: 2
Conrep (code): 2

Here is the xml file:

Disabled

1. so do I need the Health Driver in order to set this setting?

2. whats with the 'Loading Configuration from conrep.dat'? I know if you don't supply an 'output' file it uses conrep.dat but it's an 'output' file right? why would it be 'loading' anything from it? Do I need a conrep.dat file?

3. 'unsupported tag text ignored', does this mean my server does not support setting this setting from conrep?

now I'm honed in on being able to set BIOS settings from script in winPE or Windows, I have to make it work now :) What do I need to do?
radek zima_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi David,

sorry for delay

1) please also copy conrep.xml to the directory

2) the syntax should be:

conrep.exe -l -f your_file_with_config.xml

I go that that "dpioctl" error on non-proliant box, but it worked on DL380G6 server (but I have also other drivers from the hpDriver loaded in my WinPE image)

Radek
davidc_2
Advisor

Hi Radek, no worries. I appreciate your help.

I am confused about the conrep parameters though, -f is for an 'output' file, why would that param be used for the setting(s) you are trying to configure, which is 'input'??

what is conrep.xml for? If I need to worry about supplying different files for different models then this is not worth the trouble for me. I mean, I could do it, I could use wmi to get model and dynamically create the conrep command to run but that seems like it will add a lot of administrative overhead as far as keeping these files updated as new models come out.

I don't know if I just don't know enough about it, and I'm trying to just get this one thing done without really taking the time to learn the whole SSST architecture, or what, but this is becoming less and less attractive to me. I was thinking if I can take care of this one setting it would basically open the door to extending my deployment system to start automating BIOS setup.

I'm loosing faith considering conrep's 'output file' parameter is actually an 'input' file... something tells me this is not a finished product?
radek zima_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi David,

1) yep, the naming is strange, but "-f" is for xml file you want to use ... with "-s" it will be the one you want to create, so it will be "output" ... with "-l" it does not make sense to call it "output" ... but they do :)

2) conrep.xml contains some basic definitions about the configuration xml structure, I did not realize you need this as well ...

3) it's a finished product, it is used heavily inside HP's product "RDP" for unattended instalaltions, but it's somehow hidden for normal users, tweaking is necessary for more complicated stuff ... I thought it will be easy task as I'm using that regularly, but inside RDP, so WinPE image is ready for me and contains everything ...

Hope you will find a way how to solve it, either with SSST or something else ...

Radek
davidc_2
Advisor

ok... it's becoming more clear as I go through the documention, which I was trying to avoid since this is just for one setting for me right now. :)

I really do appreciate your help. I think I'll go through the docs more. Being able to automate BIOS level settings is certianly something I'm interested in.

...and your original response to try SSST and conrep remains a great idea, thank you again for that, I just need to dig more into it to figure out exactly how.

thanks again!
Bhavani N
Occasional Advisor

Have been able to use conrep on multiple servers, like scripting it.
It works on server even though throws lot of error code 6 for couple minutes, I need some help how to run this on multiple servers.....