108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: backup in DL580R01

SOLVED
Go to solution
Leonard Thng
Frequent Advisor

backup in DL580R01

Hi.. Currently i have a DL580R01 server running on windows 2000 server standard edition SP4. There're 2 x 18.2GB ultra 3 10K RPM harddisks installed in it. Apparently the second harddisk is failing soon. The harddisks are configured RAID 0. I have a 300GB harddisk and wish to performing a backup via Norton Ghost 2003, meaning a cloning of the failing harddisk.

Is it possible to clone the failing harddisk?? Are there any other better ways?? Hope someone could give me some guidance on doing so. Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
chongkan
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi Leonard.

You can clone it, but you'l have issues. On raid 0 data is stripped on two or more drives..

Clone the logical drive, both disks.

And you should get 2 146 GB drives and configure a raid 1 fault tolerant instead of having everything in one drive or a raid 0 now that you can afford more space. Besides, from 36 to 146 fault tolerance... but well if you cannot trade your 300 gb for two 146 GB you can take the chance of having one 300 'till you can get another 300 to make it fault tolerant.

Regards

Leonard Thng
Frequent Advisor

Hi Eduardo,

Thanks for your advice.

Just to check with you again. So it's possible to clone the logical drive into just 1 hard disk of 36GB or bigger? Was wondering if the current RAID 0 configuration of the 2 x 18GB hard disk will also be cloned over to the new hard disk? Will there be any complications?

leonard
chongkan
Trusted Contributor

Hi, Leonard.

Just perform the backup, create a 36.4 (or your actual logical drive aprtition size) on the 300 gb disk, then restore OS in the new drive and expand the partition using Partition Magic to use all space available.

Regards.

Leonard Thng
Frequent Advisor

Hi Eduardo,

Thanks for the advice. Greatly appreciate it. =)

leonard