108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: best way to update a server

SOLVED
Go to solution
HP_surfer
Occasional Advisor

best way to update a server

What is the best and easiest way to update HP firmware and software on a remote server? From what I understand the ProLiant Support Pack is for managing different remote hosts. Then there is also Version Control Agent for individual servers, but for this service to run you need a extra host with all HP updates on it. Isn't there a simple tool like windows update for HP software on a single server?

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi

some time ago I used HP Update Manager included in Proliant Support Pack (PSP)

where you can add the IP destination addresses and you add all Drivers and Online Firmware you want HP SUM will identify the destination and install only the Driver and Firmware needed for that server and the OS that host that server

I am attaching a graphical manual

http://karlochacon.googlepages.com/HPSUM.rar

in my example
As you can see they are 2 servers
Dl380 g4 - W2003 x32
Dl385 G2 - W2008x64

I downloaded both PSP for the 2 different OS (W2003 and W2008)

I extracted both PSP I copied the content of one of those to the other in that.
Also I downloaded System ROM and Controller Firmware Online updates and add those to the PSP folder

I executed hpsum, I addded IPs, ....
Selected Allow non bundled - this option will examine all .exe files and according with destination hosts will install those
basically that

bye
bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
HP_surfer
Occasional Advisor

Thank you Karlo! Which ports & protocol (TCP/UDP) did you open on your firewall to be able to communicate with the 2 servers?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

that's a good god question

it was for test purposes at that time so I don't have the information with me in fact I did not modify any port at all but off course something needs to be opened

let me see If can get that for you next week
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi again

I found this

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1165982

in fact I run some applications to check which ports were open while I was executing HPSUM but I got a lot ports referring HPSUM services I almost got crazy

check the attached file I run an utility in the host computer that was running PSP I run that utility 4 times different phases

but I hope the answer in the thread can help you

bye
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

oh check this

the answer in the thread I linked is here too
in a official HP document, page 40

""How do I use HP Smart UpdateManager over a firewall?Which ports do I need to open?
Are they configurable?"""

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01427072/c01427072.pdf

have a nice weekend

bye
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi about the Pictures I attached before now I found a real guide which I did not know about it until today (I did my test on my own...)

in the PSP extracted look for file called

hpsum_help_en.htm

and in the main menu check the link
"Using the GUI: multiple-host installations"

much better than my pictures

bye
HP_surfer
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for the fantastic reply. It helped me a lot in finding ways to get the servers updated.

Using update manager remotely over the internet is in my opinion not a good option since you have to open several ports that are dangerous to open.

OK, you can set ip-sec rules specifically for update manager, but so I really want to go that way?

Maybe better is to install the proliant support pack on the servers and update the machine locally. But then again the question that raises to my head: IS this software running isolated without memory leaks or anything else that could interrupt the main purpose of the server: staying 24 hours a day online..

HP_surfer
Occasional Advisor

The question still remains if it is adviseable to install Proiliant Support Pack with update manager on a production server to update that specific server.
thx
HP_surfer
Occasional Advisor

Just thinking, is it possible to use the virtual media option in ILO 2 to update a server (online) using the firmware maintenance CD?