108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

big problem with SA P400 and SATA drives

peter buechel
Advisor

big problem with SA P400 and SATA drives

hi everybody,

here's my problem, maybe someone can help:

For a longer time we used an DL380g4ith a SA P600 and four 1TB-SATA-drives without any problems and satisfactorily speed.
Then we decided to buy a DL180g5 with a SA P400 and two SAS-drives. We installed w2k3-sp3 x64 like on our DL380 and we had no problems at all.
Then we put the four SATA-drives from the DL380 to the DL180 and the trouble began.
Whe I put a little bit load on the server (copy of a bigger file, >200MB, from or to the server) I get break-in's of the throughput down to zero. These break-in's are on a regulary basis about every 10sec. Then I find on the server the folling in the system eventlog "HpCISSs2: Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued".
Of course driver and firmware are most recent.

Does anyone have an idea for me ????

thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: big problem with SA P400 and SATA drives

well

that is not a good practice in fact going from a 300 Series to a 100 Series even when they share the same controller

I only can add update firmware for p400 and drivers as well and also update storport driver

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932755/

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
peter buechel
Advisor

hi Karlo,

maybe I wrote a little bit confusing. The OS is on the two SAS-drives and we only added the four SATA-drives from the other server. So there's no driver update needed. And, btw, the RAID's are exchangeable that way.

bye
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

you can try the storport driver then

also if you remove the SATA HDDs you get any problem?
I mean I want to know if that is happening after adding SATA HDDs
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
peter buechel
Advisor

hi Karlo,

as I wrote:
I'm running w2k3sp2. the storport driver you recommended is much older.
And yes, the problems began after pluging in the SATAs.

bye
peter buechel
Advisor

Now we pulles out the four SATA's (Samsung HD103UJ) and replaced them with four SAS-HDs (Seagate ST31000640SS).
But the problem is still the same. Whe we have a look at perfmon->avg disk queue lenght while copying a 1GB file to the server it's running a while at about 6 and the goes up to about 120.
I think that this has something to do with the Mainboard, Risercard or P400. Because with the same disks and same drivers we've no problems in a dl380g4 with the P600.

Any more suggestions ?
neocristal

I have the same problems with Windows Server 2008 SP1. I have the same problem with HP Proliant DL180 H5?
Yesterday I reinstall Windows be course they down the server, and RAID not help.

If you haven't given up already, try putting the P400 in the x8 pciexpress slot. That seemed to clear up a lot of network and disk related issues on my DL180 G5 (although 1 year later I had to replace the disk backplane as it was randomly failing drives).