1753481 Members
4866 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: boot from CD-ROM on Compaq Deskpro EN

Patrick Provenzo
Frequent Advisor

boot from CD-ROM on Compaq Deskpro EN

CDROM is not one of the options in my boot order in the BIOS Setup utility. I also don't have the option to change controllers in the setup either. I went out and got a new Rompaq and I still don't have CDROM in the setup. My CDROM lights up when I power on and it works when the system is up. How do I update the setup utility so that I can boot from CDROM?

Thanks!
Paul Schaefer
4 REPLIES 4
Muthukumar_2
Occasional Advisor

Hi Paul

I am not sure whether this will help. you may wish to check your BIOS. if your BIOS is not latest (and if your server is not production server), then you may wish to upgrade your BIOS and see whether it picks up the CD-ROM option also.

thanks
-Muthukumar
Hard Diks problem in Presario 5004US
Patrick Provenzo
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your response! As I said, I went out and got the latest Rompaq and it appears to have updated the BIOS to the most recent level, although the Setup utility seems the same as the original.
Shep Johnson
Advisor

All Compaq Deskpro EN's that I've worked with default to the CD as the 1st boot device. But since yours doesn't, and the CDROM Drive isn't listed in the Boot Order, then perhaps your CDROM drive is an older model that doesn't support bootable disks. Or perhaps there's a problem with the drive even though it works in Windows. I recommend trying a different drive that you know supports bootable disks.

p.s. This is the Proliant Server message board so your post is quite off-topic.
Patrick Provenzo
Frequent Advisor

Ah. I see now that I am in the wrong topical area. I don't know how I directed my question to this particular forum (not asking for help on this - now that I know there are separate fora, I will be able to figure it out). I like the idea of a forum where questions are asked and points are given for answers, but so far, I find that the whole ITRC experience is not very user-friendly compared to other such interfaces I have used.

Unfortunately, I don't have another CD drive to try in this machine, but I will check the specs on the drive and confirm that it is bootable, thanks.