HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

boot on IDE hard disk with proliant ML350 G5

Blanc_3
Occasional Visitor

boot on IDE hard disk with proliant ML350 G5

Hello,
Is it possible to boot on hard disk IDE master with a ML350G5?
Configuration used (not original) :
- 5 disk scsi (normal)
- 1 hard disk IDE master and 1 DVD drive IDE : I changed the master ide CDROM to an ide disk, hard disk master.

ML350 boot on the DVD drive slave (hard disk is clean the first time) and i install an OS on ide hard disk master. The MBT is ok, partition is active. But i can't boot on this disk.

Other question : why, in setup, i can't change the option "boot disk startup" "controler 1 = SCSI, controler 2 = IDE"? And why Ml350 boot on DVD IDE slave? is it because scsi disks ares clean and ML350 looks for os successively on all controlers?
Thanks for your reply.
2 REPLIES
Cookie_2
Frequent Advisor

Re: boot on IDE hard disk with proliant ML350 G5

Well Blanc the IDE controller in this Server isnt designed to boot from an IDE HDD. The IDE controllers are for CD/DVD Drives only and not for IDE HDD's.

Check the quickspecs and you wont find any part number for a IDE HDD.
Sometimes a Loser Wins!!
Blanc_3
Occasional Visitor

Re: boot on IDE hard disk with proliant ML350 G5

OK, it's impossible by "design". But i'm surprise. The bios boots on CD/DVD ide and when i change CD/DVD to hard disk the bios doesn't want to boot on sectors in MBR (and after on BTR). I seems to look only for an "el torito" sector. But in a hard disk SCSI, the MBR and BTR sectors are identical to theses sectors on an ide disk. And why does setup offer to change order boot controller if itn't possible?
Quickspec doen't speak about ide disk. It's right. But i hoped that even it's not said, it's works.
My first goal is to installe linux mandriva 2006 server witch seems to not be compiled with the good driver scsi. If someone knows a way....
Actually, i hope i should make a CD for booting on the ide hard disk i've installed in ML350 and installe the good driver for using the big scsi disk.
In fact, actually, i have 2 big computers in closed and expansive boxes.
Sorry for my bad english. I beg your pardon.
Bests regards.