cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

boot up

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

boot up

I was running the assisted installation. when I rebooted to configure NT , it just shows a power light and doesn't even go through the POST. no screen, and no POST, and beep. I have reseated the processor board and processors. nothing. I have not switched out the processor board. the processor lights indicate power and there are no processor error lights on.
12 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: boot up

I am having the same problem!! I have a question for the original poster. When the machine is on, can you insert a CD into the CDrom drive. I can't. The CDrom does not seem to be recieving power, so this seems to be a power issue. I was doing something very similar; I was adding ram. Could we have inadvertantly unseated a power cable somewhere?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

yes, i am getting power to everything. the power light is on. the scsi raid drives all blink right when i push the button, and the cd rom light goes on for about 5 to 10 seconds. the only thing is that it doesn't perform the POST and there is no video giving me an error. the LED screen on front does nothing but give the generic screen with the model info. ??? I am going to try to switch out the ram and see if that is a factor. I cant find in the documentation anything about no POST. ???
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

We have experienced a problem that from your description was identical to a problem we had a week ago. Our Net Ware server was getting ABENDs and would only run for about 4 hours before crashing. Eventually we ran across the exact same symptoms you supplied. We ended up replacing the "Cage" that houses / supports the CPUs and RAM. We kept our CPUs and RAM to swapped them out to the new board. We have been happy ever since. This is the second time we had this problem with a ProLiant 1600.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

In sitting here at work, comptemplating the issue, I have to agree with Mike. The issue does seem to be somehow related to that cage.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

That's what Seems to be the issue. I don't have another one around right now to swap cages to see, but that 's what I was wanting to do. I will just place call in to compaq. thanks you guys for your responses.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

If anyone needs it, the part number for the cage is: 313621-001.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

FYI - i just received my new processor cage and its still doing the same thing? AAAAAAHHHHRRGG!!!! I'm fixing to see if NIKE might be able to make it work if you know what i mean!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hey, just a question, do you have the P5 power cable plugged in??
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

what is a P5 power cable? I am using the power cable it came with along with other i've tried. maybe it's the back plane or sister board that the other boards plug into. I think I'm just going to call a tech to come look at it. besides i can pick his brain while he's hear.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have experienced the same symptoms, I was upgrading the memory when . when I re booted to configure TN , it just shows a power light and doesn't even go through the POST. no screen, and no POST, and beep.
The tall me to replace the processor board but now I Know it wont work.

Did anybody found a solution ? Thanks.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have a couple of questions:

1) Do you HEAR any errors when this happens (beep codes)?

2) Do you have anything added to this system that didn't come with it - extra memory, non-Compaq cards...?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have a 1600 Tower with the same type of problems.

Turn it off, and when you go to re start, you push the power button, this is what happens.

The SCSI light next to the power switch flashes on.
The lights on the 221 controller flash.
The lights on the processor board flash.
The front fan for the I card bay gets a momentary bump in power, you can hear a mild thump when it tries to power up.
If left on during this state, the process repeats every 20 seconds or so as the computer keeps trying to power up.

The first time this happened I was told by everyone that it was the P5 connector on the power cage. I thought it was strange, but went ahead and repeatedly tried to re seat P5. Eventually I got fans and with some more luck I got power.
I shut down yesterday for a new power cage and cable assembly and went through the whole thing again with a new cage. Thats 5 hours of removal and installs of the power cage and the P5 cable.
I finally came to the conclusion that the P5 cable is not the cause, but only
the reason that the cause is not found.

To get to the P5 cable, you have to remove the processor cage. This constant sliding in and out of the processor cage finally gets the processor board to seat properly and bingo, off you go, thinking you finally got the cable in the right position.
I did everything short of soldering the cable ends in place, (by the way, thats next on the list of things to do) if I have to keep this thing around, just to prove that the cable is not at fault.
If left alone for several hours, preferable overnight, the server will boot simply by pushing the start button.
I believe there is a capacitive charge on one of the boards that does not properly dissipate when the unit is turned off. I also believe that this is complicated by, in my situation a case that is just out of specs, not allowing anything to work quite right.

Boards placed from this server into another box work fine.
Placed back into this box they fail. Why? two small problems that alone don't matter, but together they do.