1753408 Members
7280 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: breaking mirror set and using 2nd drive

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

breaking mirror set and using 2nd drive

Need to be able break a mirror set, take the 2nd drive out and place into slot "0" on another identical hardwared server. Then boot the 2nd server with the replicated image. I am doing so in order to create test box for upgrade to 2000. Everything I have tried has not worked. My latest was I broke mirror, rebooted, edited boot.ini on 2nd drive and made the /winnt partition active. Shut down and removed the drive. When placed in test server it has "imminet failure". I know the mirror doesn't include the EISA partition, but do not know a work around. Can anyone give me a step for step on how best to create this test environment???
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The operation you're attempting is not a supported action by Compaq .
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi,

This is how I have got round this problem.
Boot on a floppy and use Nortons ghost 5.1c to clone the disk including the none dos partition.
Then put this drive in your other server.

Regards

Bob
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have tried creating a mirror set for my Compaq NT server as well, under NT's disk administrator, and my mirrored set did not create properly, due to the Compaq insight management software. If you are trying to create a mirror set under NT check the microsofts home page, article Q162846 (http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?id=KB;EN-US;Q162846). Check under, Basic Procedures, item #3. It talks about the Compaq management software. Also, check article Q96735, it mentions something about the Compaq's EISA partition. The point here is, be sure you are creating a proper mirror set. When I have created a mirror set, it goes through the procedure but the set is not created properly. When I look at the image sizes, partition sizes, they are off. (One partition is 4055 gigs and the other 4063 gigs), so they are not mirrored properly. I have tried to contact Compaq, but they said they do not support software mirroring. I am still trying to find more information at this time. If for any reason you find any infomation, please write back. Thanks and Good Luck.