8715 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

cage nuts size for hp dl385 tool free?

paulow1978
Occasional Contributor

cage nuts size for hp dl385 tool free?

Hi all,

I am having a really bad time trying to install an hp dl385 g2 into our cabinets. The cabinet have square holes for rack kits and I have bolts and screws that fit everything else. The rack kit that came with the hp does not have big enough holes in to put the standard cage nut bolts through. I have tried 4 different types of cage nuts and no luck. I notices that when i got the rack kit out it had a square washer on the ends on the kits where it is supposed to fix to the cabinet rails. I also noticed that the rack kit in some places is mentioned as "tool free". Does this mean I should be able to fit the rail kit without the use of any cage nuts and use this square washer by pushing it into the square holes in the cabinet?. Alternatively can someone please tell me where I can get some cage bolts to fit these rack kits as they are not standard size.

many thanks,

Paul
1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: cage nuts size for hp dl385 tool free?

Yes, the modern DL38x "universal" rail kit should generally install without any cage nuts.

There may be an extra hole or two that can optionally be used for cage nut bolts: these are designed to be used for extra strength when transporting populated racks, or maybe for use in shock-proof racks in earthquake zones.

There is usually an installation instruction leaflet with pictures in the package: a picture would be worth a thousand words here.

The ends of the kits should have some screws with a specially-shaped heads in addition to the square washers: the screwhead is shaped so that the narrow part fits exactly to round holes in HP's own round-hole racks, and the wider part's diameter matches exactly the size of the square holes.

There's also a simple locking mechanism: when you push the screw-heads to the rack rail, you should hear (and feel) a "click" when the end of the rack rail locks into place. Do this to both ends of both rack rails, ensuring that the rails are horizontal and correctly aligned.

It does not feel quite as solid as the traditional attachment method, but it seems to work.

MK
MK