1748249 Members
3684 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: can't add 2nd processor

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

can't add 2nd processor

We have several 1850R servers and we bought add'l processors and power modules for them. However, we can't get the BIOS to recognize the 2nd processors. We have flashed the BIOS to P7 dated 4/19/00, erased the NVRAM several times both via hardware DIP switches and system utils, yet each time I boot the servers I get the error 212- Processor failed. I've tried a few different brand-new processors, each one identical to the processor already in the server, but nothing seems to work. Also swapped power modules, no luck there either.
Any tips or tricks that I'm missing? I got one server to see the 2nd processor so it's not impossible. But the tricks that worked on that box don't work on the others.
5 REPLIES 5
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

If you swap the processors, does the error follow the processor? Will the new processor work, by itself? Are you using the latest System Configuration Utility?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The error doesn't follow the processor. No matter which processor I put in the 2nd slot, the server refuses to recognize it. I've tried 1 old, 1 new, 2 new, 2 old, nothing seems to work. The new processor does work by itself, so I don't think the problem is with the processor itself.
I'm using the SCU from the SmartStart 4.80 CD.

Thanks,
Phil
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I've had 3 different 1850R servers give me the same error message. You might want to have Compaq replace the mainboard because that's what we did to resolve it. Good luck.

Rob
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I am getting the same error as well. What was your final solution? I would prefer not to have to do something so drastic as replacing the mainboard. Is it faulty components?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Turns out we had 3 bad processors. We spent what seemed like a week on the phone with Compaq tech support trying processors in different slots and resetting the NVRAM. Finally we narrowed it down to 3 good new processors and 3 bad ones. The bads are on their way back and we'll get some more.

Annoying, but at least we learned what was wrong.

Phil