1752780 Members
6314 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cannot flash 36.4gb drive from HPB4 to HPB9

Mike Ross_3
Occasional Contributor

cannot flash 36.4gb drive from HPB4 to HPB9

I have a ML350g4p. I have BF0368A4B9 36.4gb drives at firmware level HPB4. I run the Smart Firmware Updater from a USB key (after loading CP006564.scexe onto the USB stick first - which is the HPB9(A)(12 Jul 2006)firmware.
The updater sees the drive and authorises the upgrade from HPB4 to HPB9. When I click "install" it fails immediately with "Write Buffer Failed with Return Code 1035".
Can anyone help me with this please? Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Hi.

Have you tried making a smaller firmware jump. For example try downloading HPB6 and running first and then do the jump to HPB9.

Or maybe if you have upgraded your smart array controller recently and that firmware doesn't support writing to that old firmware on the harddrives flash chip.

conclusion:
Try making smaller jumps with the disk firmware or try downgrading your smart array controller.
Mike Ross_3
Occasional Contributor

Hi - these are very good suggestions as I have indeed upgraded my 641 controller already to 2.84(A). I did read (later on) it was recommended that I flash the disks first before upgrading the 641 controller. Maybe thats why :-(
Its a bit poor if HP can't make the flash process backward compatible! Anyway I will work on these ideas and let you know. many thanks.