1748275 Members
3634 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cciss driver for custimzed kernel on ML370g3

vinay_17
Occasional Advisor

cciss driver for custimzed kernel on ML370g3

I want to include cciss driver in my customized kernel (on red hat 7.3).
I know there is a way to put precompiled driver from HP driver disk in initrd image but that wont work for me as i am compiling kernel 2.4.18-24.7.x because of some ext3 bugs in earlier versions. but cciss.o driver wont insmod on this version. Where can I get updated source of cciss driver ( i searched all over sourceforge cvis where they told it will be ).
1. How can i include the driver in my customized kernel ?so that i can boot up from my customzed OS cd and I dont have to put driver cd during install.
2) Where do I get cciss source for my ML370 g3 box if i want to include in customized kernel.Please give exact location and detailed procedure .
5 REPLIES 5
Thilo Knoch
Frequent Advisor

The cciss driver since a longer time part of the kernel source tree.
(But you will not find it in drivers/scsi but in drivers/block of the sources and in make config/menuconfig/xconfig).
For the latest patches please have look at:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/16803.html

"For directions to patch the existing driver and rebuild your kernel please refer to the Red Hat documentation. The driver patches will be available in a gzipped tar file in the /opt/compaq/storage_drivers directory after installing the RPM with the -- noscripts option. "
vinay_17
Occasional Advisor

thankyou very much for prompt reply.
Actually i did some reading and figured out that the path that you told me is the way to go. But i am facing some issues here.
I installed those rpms with --noscript option from HP cd that i got with my box.
as per document the patch i am looking for (2.4.18-24.7.x) should be in this dir
/opt/compaq/storage_drivers/cciss-2.4.46_2003_06_19/patches/2.4.18-24.7.x

but the patch fails to apply because kernel version is different in the actual patch file
for eg:
p00000_cciss_2.4.44_for_RH73err.patch has:

--- linux-2.4.18-27.7.x/drivers/block/cciss.c~cciss_2.4.44_for_RH73err Fri May 9 17:20:06 2003
+++ linux-2.4.18-27.7.x-root/drivers/block/cciss.c Fri May 9 17:20:06 2003
@@ -1,6 +1,6 @@

i tried to look into other version patches and they have same problem infact all the corressponding patch files are same in all kernel version dir

As a work around i rename my source root dir to linux-2.4.18-27.7.x so that the patch gets applied.But then on boot up cciss driver fails to insmod

Can you please help me out where i am going wrong and why does a hp cd have corrupt patch files
Thilo Knoch
Frequent Advisor

Which driver version can you find in the not patched file
drivers/block/cciss.c
in the line beginning with
#define DRIVER_VERSION CCISS_DRIVER_VERSION(
?
vinay_17
Occasional Advisor

it is
#define DRIVER_NAME "Compaq CISS Driver (v 2.4.30)"
#define DRIVER_VERSION CCISS_DRIVER_VERSION(2,4,30)
vinay_17
Occasional Advisor

I could apply that patch and compile/run my kernel.

I updated the patch files for current version(2.4.18-24.7.x) and applied them.I copied the configuration file for i686 smp and did menuconfig. I works fine now. thank you very much for all your support.

vinay