1753762 Members
4871 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

cdrom ejects discs

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

cdrom ejects discs

I have a prolient 1600 with a IDE crd-8241b cdrom drive. When I insert a disk(i've tried several) it is ejected within 10 seconds. I have tried cleaning the drive but it didn't help.

Incedentially I also have a 12/24 4mm dat drive hp c1537a that is also malfunctioning. I think it is also an IDE drive but, I am not positive it is IDE. Does this sound like it could be a controller problem
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: cdrom ejects discs

Have you tried recycling power on the Server ? The tape drive is not an IDE device , it is a scsi device attached and should be attached to the integrated scsi controller .

I'd suggest running Compaq Server Diags to test the devices .
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: cdrom ejects discs

I have 2 proliant 1600, nw4.11 sp8a, raid 5 array, tape, floppy. Both have mysteriously started doing the very exact thing. I can boot in dos or Netware, don't matter, any cd inserted, ejects in 10 seconds. CD ROM is not spinning up. Spent 4 hours with Tech Support and they insist both CDROM drives are bad and are shipping me two new drives tonight. I applied every Firmware upgrade there is and nothing helped. The last thing I did to my servers was bring DS up to SP9 level.