1753365 Members
5892 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

change RAID level from 0 to 1

g-admin

change RAID level from 0 to 1

Hi,
As a fresh new admin, I did my first huge mistake, I have a ProLiant ML G5 with 4 disks mounted in an array in RAID 0. Is there a way to introduce fault tolerance to my configuration?
For example change raid level, well anyhing that could help.
7 REPLIES 7
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

Re: change RAID level from 0 to 1

hi,

which model is it (how many drive bays have you got), which raid controller is installed and has it got battery backed write cache (bbwc) ?

Dark101

HI, i have the same Problem,

hi, im guessing this i made the same mistake you have

We have a new ML150 G5 with a 200I Raid card, ( with Batery backup )

onley one of the drives whare in stock, so we built the server with one disk as a raide 0 for the data drive thinking we could mirror it later. But i cant see how you do this ?

i have 200 GB of data on the Drive i dont wont to have to move it to another location and destroy the logicall aray, and start again of i can help it ????

any help would be apreciated ....
francis.laporte

hi,
Did you try to boot with HP SmartStart CD
and go to manage Array?
TTr
Honored Contributor

> I have a ProLiant ML G5 with 4 disks...
Which RAID controller do you have? Most SA RAID controllers have the "RAID migration" feature which does exactly that, changes the raid type. You still need to verify which controler you have and what other raid types it is capable of. Also depending on the amount of storage you have allocated to the server from the raid controller, you may or may not be able to make the raid type conversion. For example to convert from raid0 to raid10 you will have to have allocated less than 50% of the space because the raid10 will use 2 disks for redundancy so your allocated storage would need to fit in 2disks only.
By allocated storage we refer to the storage on the raid controller that is assigned to the server and not how much data you have used up on the server.
Finally the BBWC option is a must to be able to make these conversions.

> @Dark101: ML150 G5 with a 200I Raid card, ( with Batery backup )
You can easily make the change, The E200i has the above feature but you too are bound by the storgae allocated and free storage ratio. (You should open your own thread and ask the question)
TTr
Honored Contributor

One more thing, you don't have to reboot the server and use the smartstart cd to access the raid controller configuration. You can use the ACU software from your OS and can do the reconfiguration live. Always backup up your data before starting any disk operations like these.
g-admin

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I was away from office the whole week. Happy that thread could help others. Now, related to the problem I have, here are the data:

Server model: ML 150 G5
RAID controller: I believe the RAID cotroller is the one embeded on the motherboard as there is no dedicated card neither could I see a dedicated battery
Storage: I have equiped the server with one default bay of disks containing four 250Go seagate SATA disks

Is that enough information for you to help me find a solution?
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

looking at the manual for the embedded sata raid controller, if you put the other drive cage in and populate it you could use the create raid 1 with the build option using your raid 0 volume as the source. but it does use the term 'drive' rather than logical drive so this may not do as you want. before you consider doing anything make sure you have your data backed up to tape. if this a very recent build and you have little or no data yet on the server perhaps consider a rebuild ensuring you configure a raid 1 array this time.
so approach with caution, the manual is here :-

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00474317/c00474317.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

there may others with some more experience with this embedded raid controller.

hth