ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751836 Members
5229 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: changing UEFI to Legacy BIOS and vice versa after server O.S installed.

ddicky
Contributor

changing UEFI to Legacy BIOS and vice versa after server O.S installed.

Hi ,

I'm have some  DL360G9 servers and installed with W2k12 , W2008k & LInux Redhat O.S. The server was configured to boot on UEFI during the installation of these O.S. Is there any  boot issue if I change it to legacy boot at later stage?

I'm running on RAID 5 and RAID 1+1.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@ddicky wrote:

Hi ,

I'm have some  DL360G9 servers and installed with W2k12 , W2008k & LInux Redhat O.S. The server was configured to boot on UEFI during the installation of these O.S. Is there any  boot issue if I change it to legacy boot at later stage?

I'm running on RAID 5 and RAID 1+1.

Thanks.

BIOS and UEFI do not boot using the same method. You cannot switch from one to the other after installation. 

*I've heard there is now a utility included with a recent Win10 release to switch from MBR to GPT but I've never tried it

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
HPSDMike
HPE Pro

For what it’s worth, I have changed this setting on ESXi 6.0 servers without issue. The server booted fine after. Not sure on the other OSs but maybe it won’t work as well based on Jinny’s reply.

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo